Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 54

Re: Bt Plc rewards pop up on iPad

Go to solution

If you read the threads I linked to, and you will see its Ebay.

SCranks
Beginner
Message 22 of 54

Go to solution

You obviously didn’t read my message properly ...... how do they know I am a bit customer ? 

What is Bt doing to help it’s customers resolve this problem ?  Have Bt contacted Ebay to try and prevent their customers from getting this pop up scam ?  

From my guess it’s only happening to Bt customers so they have got a duty of care to stop it from happening as it must be coming down their internet WiFi somehow ? 

And yes I did read that thread you linked me too , but I think passing the buck purely to EBay is not very good customer service !

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 54

Go to solution

This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself.

It may be best if I move this thread to the existing one, as you may get a better answer there. If not, then raise a complaint directly with BT.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 54

Go to solution

Your public IP address will show who the IP address is "owned" by hence they can surmise that you are a BT customer.

SCranks
Beginner
Message 25 of 54

Go to solution

I am aware that it is only customers who use this forum ,  you stated it wasn’t a Bt problem and I was pointing out to you that Bt still have a duty of care to it’s customers and should really be doing something about it themselves. 

I actually posted on this forum 1: to see if it was happening to others 

and 2: to see if anyone has been able to stop it 

Obviously whoever is sending these pop ups has information that’s come from Bt as they know I am using their internet services so it’s not really helpful for somebody to simply say it’s nothing to do with Bt. 

SCranks
Beginner
Message 26 of 54

Go to solution

I was unaware of that , thank you ( gg )

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 54

Go to solution

The problem is on eBay's site. Who ever has "hacked" that site are able to see the public IP address of anyone who accesses that page. This does not give out any information about you, only that the IP address is one of the batches of IP addresses that are allocated to BT. No doubt they can see every ones IP address and their ISP that access that site so they can word their scam message accordingly. In this instance "Dear BT Customer".

It is not BT causing this and there is nothing BT can do about it. It is an eBay problem.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 54

Go to solution

Is actually very easy to see the IP address of a visitor, I do it on my website, it does not involve any "hacking", a simple "web beacon" using a hidden image is all that is needed.

That method is in very common use.

SCranks
Beginner
Message 29 of 54

Go to solution

To GG 

how can you say that there is nothing Bt can do about it ! Surely they can contact eBay and let them know that some of their customers are being harassed with pop ups coming from their site. 

They can force Ebay to look into it and prevent it from happening.  How are you so certain they cannot do anything ?   It’s not actually why I posted on here but I really am baffled by people saying it’s nothing to do with BT  

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 54

Go to solution

@SCranks wrote:

To GG 

how can you say that there is nothing Bt can do about it ! Surely they can contact eBay and let them know that some of their customers are being harassed with pop ups coming from their site. 

... and so can you. 

BT only supply you with an Internet connection, they are not responsible for what takes place on other companies web sites.