Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cornishgirl1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 54

Bt Plc rewards pop up on iPad

Go to solution
I know it’s a BT pop up as I’m getting them on iPhone but think I’ve managed to block them.

On iPhone:
Click on settings
Screen time
Content and privacy restrictions
Content restrictions
Web Content - limit adult websites
Under Never Allow add the websites to be blocked (the ones that are the BT pop ups)

It seems to have worked for me on iPhone

BT should take note as these websites are impersonating them!
Cornishgirl1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 54

Re: Bt Plc rewards pop up on iPad

Go to solution
It will be similar to how you block the pop ups on iPad !
SCranks
Beginner
Message 33 of 54

Go to solution

Thank you Cornishgirl1  for the information , I will try that and fingers crossed it works for me.  👍🤞🤞

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 54

Go to solution

@Cornishgirl1 wrote:
I know it’s a BT pop up as I’m getting them on iPhone but think I’ve managed to block them.

On iPhone:
Click on settings
Screen time
Content and privacy restrictions
Content restrictions
Web Content - limit adult websites
Under Never Allow add the websites to be blocked (the ones that are the BT pop ups)

It seems to have worked for me on iPhone

BT should take note as these websites are impersonating them!

Just to be clear because there is a difference between what is happening here and a pop up.

As has been repeatedly said, what is happening is NOT a pop up. You are being maliciously re-directed to a different web site. What you have done above is not blocking a pop up,  you are blocking the web site that you are being re-directed to when you opened the page on eBay. 

In any event as long as it is stopping the problem that is happening for you that is the main thing.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 35 of 54

Go to solution

@Cornishgirl1 wrote:
It will be similar to how you block the pop ups on iPad !

A word of caution.

It’s problably an effective solution.

Have looked at that setting, but you might just find that it inhibits the “clear history” functionality  when exiting Safari. 

It will take some time for me, at least, find out what and why. Otherwise it seems to an original idea.

Cornishgirl1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 54

Go to solution
At least it blocks the website that is sending the BT pop ups ... good luck it’s working for me
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 37 of 54

Go to solution
As per original post to you:-
The BT survey requests have stopped, using method described, of responding to survey, and clearing history much later.
I don’t receive eBay pop ups as I don’t view ebay from iPhone or iPad. Only on Windows pc.
Gnomie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 54

Go to solution

I am about to use the method to block the particular website address. Although at best this is a workaround as they will eventually maliciously redirect to a new domain which one would  have to add again.

it did stop for me for 24 hours or so. I followed to the point of filling the survey and dumped the page.

just been to check for orders on eBay and bam. There it is and back.

100% eBay. 0% BT.

theres a ton of spoofing online right now with pages purporting to be another organisation. And looking very much like they could be genuine. BT cannot police it, same as all the mainstream banks......etc

good internet hygiene includes:

1. Never Input any financial data on an unsecured http connection. Check for https and check out the certificate! Where possible use credit not debit cards for extra consumer protection. Use payment wallets like Paypal rather than debit cards.

2. Never Input any personal data on any survey, genuine or not, if you do ,  expect to get marketing calls or have your details resold. Read the terms you are offered.....don’t just submit! If the offer is too good to be true, it probably is. All those ‘reviews’ of how quick they got their reward are fake!

3. Never make an attempt to sign into one of your accounts from a web link in an email. Always manually type in the site you wish to visit, the reason browsers have bookmarks. If they emailed you to do something needing action you will sure be asked to do it when you log in to the genuine site!

4. Always use individual high cypher passwords for financial sites, email or any site which is linked to one of your payment methods. Common passwords for other sites should be high cypher but can be shared. A decent high cypher passcode that’s memorable would be a non dictionary word (fictional character names for example) then split up using numbers and symbols and utilising capitals. E.g. B!tCoin973*#*# - excuse the reference to such a currency, it’s just an example. The latter part with numbers and after could be transposed between sites......making it easier to memorise a dozen of them.

Back to topic. I sell a solid £100k of items a year on eBay. I am going to complain to my account manager about this next week. The joke is, they will allow code manipulation like this, but heaven forfend if you put your website link in your item or ask for a buyers number or email before they buy!

although this is all very annoying, it does somewhat underwrite that this is malicious redirection using embedded code rather than malware, viruses or trojans on our machines.

when you visit a website, you would be horrified to know how many things they know about you, your ip and service provider, device type, browser and operating system, let alone the tracking a single cookie in your history cache can do......I give you google targeted advertising.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 54

Go to solution

Gnomie

I have no idea why this thread was moved to "The Lounge" board. That board is in my opinion not the place for it so I have moved it to a more relevant board where all the other posts about scam and phishing etc is posted.

You post contains sound advice and if followed should go some way to protecting Internet users.

Gnomie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 54

Go to solution
Thanks gg 🙂