cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickRH1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 622

Re: Hoax Calls - BT Indian Call Centre Security Leak

I'm afraid that from personal experience and that of many others, the only conclusion I've been able to draw from this is that there are criminal elements withing the Indian Call Centre that BT use, who pass on our account details (including account numbers), and when we have called about a problem).

Like you, and no doubt most of the UK population, I get hoax calls, but it is the one's that have pertinent personal details that suggest some of these crooks are not just dialling UK numbers at random and clearly have access to BT account details. It's all well and good for BT to boast that they able to be filtering nuisance calls, but they need to front up and admit that their own infrastructure is harbouring scoundrels responsible for some of the nastiest calls, and to do something (publicly) about it. Goodness knows, I pay enough for a pretty lousy service in the first place... 

SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 92 of 622

NickRH1,

I am with you 100%, someone in BT senior management ought to be made aware, and do something about it. Problem is, how can you get access to them?

Moderators on this forum, good as they are, don't seem able or willing to escalate this CRIMINAL activity. I think the only way would be via OFCOM, perhaps then senior management will sit up and take notice.

borguk1of9
Contributor
Message 93 of 622

I got a call today from someone at BT Openreach claiming they were ringing in regard to my ongoing fault (I have a 2nd Engineer coming tomorrow).

It took me 60 seconds to realise he wasnt legit and put the phone down on him but...

1. He knew I had an ongoing fault.

2. That I had a HH5 (I only got it last week to use for testing, I use my own N600 as the wireless has a longer range).

Clearly someone in the Indian BT call centre is selling details and clearly for some time.

Atrocious broadband speeds, 2 hours to get through to 150, 4 weeks ongoing not solving issues and now my details are being handed out to crooks.

I seriously need to get away from BT.

Maggrow15
Message 94 of 622

Re: New India Phone Scam

I have also been bombarded with calls mostly 'unavailable' but some numbered per porting to come from BT Openreach and was asked to log into a site called Teamviiewer which enables their engineers to access my computer to fix a so-called problem of outside access to my broadband. Luckily I could not do this for some reason and I hung up. Only to be bothered six more times by them calling my number.  Having read similar experiences on this form, I realise it's a scam. Please could BT do something about it.

grannypomps
Message 95 of 622

Re: New India Phone Scam

This is exactly what happened to me today. I was suspicious, rang off and immediately had a return call, which I ignored.

I was very grateful to be able to access all the postings on this site about the scam.

PedroUK
Beginner
Message 96 of 622

Re: Possible Scam?

Had a very similar one a week ago - a man with a very thick Indian accent rang the land line saying there was a rpoblem with the router.  I knew there was not and told him in no uncertain terms to get lost.  Then I had another call today, again a very thick Indian acccent, very difficult to understand, but since I thought is was the same scam, I trid to get him to tell me more.  He went on to say that BT knew there were criinals tryng to access my system and that I was in danger.  I asked what I should do, and he then said I needed to be at my computer.  At that point I told him to stop trying to scam me - and put the phone down.  Clearly a rogue.

Kacey50
Message 97 of 622

I got exactly the same call this morning and declined to put my laptop on. He said there is a new router on its way by post but he needed to check a few things. I must admit to being a slightly unsure as we are BT customers and my husband was having a lot of trouble with the internet last night. Glad I put him off though!
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 98 of 622

@Kacey50 wrote:
I got exactly the same call this morning and declined to put my laptop on. He said there is a new router on its way by post but he needed to check a few things. I must admit to being a slightly unsure as we are BT customers and my husband was having a lot of trouble with the internet last night. Glad I put him off though!

Same caller today, and similar yesterday,

These callers are becoming more persistent.

Call shows as Unavailable Out of area. Call blocker shows voip caller.

Yesterday the caller display showed a number, which I could block.

fairleigh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 99 of 622

I receive these calls, from 01618189501.On one occasion, I clicked off, only to have the heavily accented Indian man call back to demand "why did I put the call down in my face?"
robbos21
Beginner
Message 100 of 622

i get them and tell em politely p*ss of as not do anything due to be a scam