cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bayardmm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 622

Re: New India Phone Scam

I've just had a phone call from the Indian sub-continent, supposedly from BT help desk, where i was informed that my computer had reported some activity from hackers. I'm not aware that this feedback mechanism exists and therefore I hung up. Like others I think that this is very similar to the MIcrosoft Windows scam.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 622

Re: BT Scam?

This has happened frequently to other users. It is in my opinion NOT a coincidence. It has been reported to BT before suggesting that they forward details to their internal security department to investigate but the response was more or less the same as you got when you complained.

I have informed the moderators of the forum about this and hopefully they may take this more seriously and give you a more credible explanation of what, if anything will be done to investigate this.

Failing that you could always report BT to the Data Information Commisioner who can investigate BT's procedures. 

Message 12 of 622

Hi @Skippylad

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

I'm very sorry that this has happened and I can definitely understand how concerning this is.  I'd suggest you take a look at the following link - Security Warning - Fraud Activites

There is an option on the link above to chat with us directly and there is also an option for ActionFraud

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 622

So basically it is again being suggested that it was just a coincidence that you like many others, were contacted shortly after you had interaction with BT Customer Services and that the scammers were just lucky enough to know that you had reported a fault to BT and may be highly susceptible to allowing them to access your computer.

I would suggest that you contact the Police and the Information Commissioner  https://ico.org.uk/concerns/   and report this to them. It is a waste of time reporting it to Action Fraud. All they do is log the call and generally take no further action unless you were actually defrauded.

reevesi2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 622

Strange that this should happen after talking to BT's Indian call centre !!! 

Calling number  020329*****

I have also been in contact with BT relating to a problem with Smart Talk and the WiFi app. Guess what happens next I spoke to someone who called up and it sounds like he was speaking from the same script. Unfortunately for him I worked in IT for 25 years for ---- BT. They were try ing to get access to my hardware to install something that no doubt would have yielded them information about me and access to my finances.

BT get off your backsided and do something to stop this happening

darlingi
Message 15 of 622

Ah that must be because BT are total garbage on a good day!

So given that most days aren't good.................BT must be 3rd world at best - oh just noticed that seems to be where their call-centres are located, doubtless due to budgetary reasons!

Mind you it is hard to distinguish Slough from Bangalore - similar accent!

Really looking forward to a Brexit!

stevetormey
Beginner
Message 16 of 622

Wow this is scary. This has been happening to me. I've just joined the forum and recently I've had several calls from Asian women saying they are from BT and saying they can fix my broadband fault. They ask me to go to my computer and log in but when I explain, suhh I've no broadband because of the exist fault they huff and then hang up!! One woman shouted at me to just go to the computer, if course I told her to do one. OCD blocked 3 numbers now that these scams teed are using so far.
stevetormey
Beginner
Message 17 of 622

*should say I've blocked 3 numbers, not OCD. Soz.
Razor120
Message 18 of 622

I have had 2 phone calls saying they are from BT Technical Department saying my internet connection is going to be cut off. I asked for their full name and full name of company so I could check them out and they hung up on me. They both had indian accents.

I have also had another one saying they are from a company that can put my number on a list to stop spam calls. I also didnt give them any info and I am already registered with TPS.   These types of calls seem to be on the increase.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 622

Welcome to the forum. Well done for ignoring the calls - people taken in by scammers encourage them to carry on.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.