cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 61 of 622

Re: BT Scam?

Sounds like the Indian call centre has a leak or is sharing data, their is no way that a scam call will ring you to suggest you have a broadband or telephone fault just after you reported it by chance, and another thing would be if your numbers ex directory, if you are, how did they get it?

A tip is to hear if they say your name they have your details from somewhere, if they say your name after you've said it then it's possible it's random. I should also add when it comes to scam calls from international numbers no one can do anything, it's down to the government I'm afraid to get these to stop. Just ignoring any numbers you don't recognise is the best deterrent really.

I'm sure I read or heard recently that something was going to be done, only several years too late, but I can't remember what it was exactly.

Addy
Contributor
Message 62 of 622

Phishing Call

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct community to post this in but.

I have just received a Withheld call from someone asking they are from BT and ringing about a problem with my interenet connection. I hung up. However if BT do ring does BT withhold the 0800 number or  does it show on the caller display.

Reason for asking is that I was one of the customers with the emial problem last week and every time the helpdesk ring the 0800 number was displayed in the caller display.

Is it a coincidence that I get a phishing call no long after contacting the help desk.

thanks

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 63 of 622

Re: Phishing Call

Addy wrote:

I have just received a Withheld call from someone asking they are from BT and ringing about a problem with my interenet connection. I hung up. However if BT do ring does BT withhold the 0800 number or  does it show on the caller display. Reason for asking is that I was one of the customers with the emial problem last week and every time the helpdesk ring the 0800 number was displayed in the caller display. In my experience it can be either, with publicly-available numbers like the helpdesk tending to show.

Is it a coincidence that I get a phishing call no long after contacting the help desk. If posts here are anything to go by, maybe not. There's been a deafening silence from BT on the issue.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
MartynFlook
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 622

Hi

From my experience every time I speak to the Indian call centre, (which is surprisingly often) your guaranteed to get bogus phone calls for about a week afterwards. The ones I get pretend to be the Windows help desk, their poor English is generally the first give away, when you challenge them they put the phone down.  I complained to BT about this, but of course they put me through to the very Indian call centre I was complaining about, they of course, refused to accept anything.  I even suggested that they had a look at my phone records which would have confirmed everything I was saying.  BT leaks data like a sieve!

Addy
Contributor
Message 65 of 622

Well we had another call around mid day saying there was a problem with our internet connection corrupted and hacking files had infected my pc and were downloading all my data. So we asked what do they want us to do and finally she asked what keys were next to the CTRL key. I guess this was to find out if we were using a mac or pc. Anyway we hung up only for the woman to ring back demanding to know why we hung up.

Reply was "we don't delieve you" and hung up again.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 66 of 622

@Addy wrote:

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct community to post this in but.

I have just received a Withheld call from someone asking they are from BT and ringing about a problem with my interenet connection. I hung up. However if BT do ring does BT withhold the 0800 number or  does it show on the caller display.

Reason for asking is that I was one of the customers with the emial problem last week and every time the helpdesk ring the 0800 number was displayed in the caller display.

Is it a coincidence that I get a phishing call no long after contacting the help desk.

thanks

If the caller display is shown as "withheld" , then it sounds suspicious ( if you see my meaning).

A caller who had been forwarded your number would be more likely to call from "International out of area" or "International Unknown". (That's if they have a strong accent.) Otherwise it's from UK.

FrancesB
Message 67 of 622

Just had a scam call saying my landline was being cut off due to arrears. Of course it was an Indian gentleman - usual pause before he replied saying he was from BT technical department. I had great fun telling him to "go away."

He was so plausible, I fear for older people who might be taken in. I am a Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator so will be alerting people in my area. I have TPS and thought the government was supposed to be tightening up on these sort of scams.

Next time I will blow a whistle down the phone! Just fed up that so many people will be taken in and have money taken from their account. It would be nice if BT came up with a solution but reading all the discussions, this seems unlikely. Thank heaven for this discussion group.

michaelB6
Message 68 of 622

The same thing happend to me ! The day after my broadband was swithched on ! And i am 100% positive that my information was passed on through B.T !

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 69 of 622

If it happened after recent contact with BT Customers Services report it to:-

a) to the CEO of BT. You can google to get his email address

b) to the Information Commissioner's Office that you believe that informing held by BT was possibly passed to the scammers

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

NickRH1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 70 of 622

Re: BT Indian Call centre security leak Scam?

The ICO will only allow you to report to them once you have made a complaint to BT. This is very difficult to do, as BT cannily send you round in circles on their website, and no doubt this puts most would-be complainants off.

I am not so easily deterred, so here is the link I found that should take you directly to the page to email your complaints to BT:

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/7641,7644

Good Luck - but the more people who report this, the more likely BT (and possibly the ICO) are to take some useful action, so please do so!