cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 71 of 622

Re: BT Scam?

I get loads of adverts (some of them are scams). They come up day after day in spite of 'undescribe', blocking them and highlighting them under scam mail. It it that my 'blocking' procedure is under strength or what. I need answers J.D.

@reevesi2 wrote:

Strange that this should happen after talking to BT's Indian call centre !!! 

Calling number  020329*****

I have also been in contact with BT relating to a problem with Smart Talk and the WiFi app. Guess what happens next I spoke to someone who called up and it sounds like he was speaking from the same script. Unfortunately for him I worked in IT for 25 years for ---- BT. They were try ing to get access to my hardware to install something that no doubt would have yielded them information about me and access to my finances.

BT get off your backsided and do something to stop this happening

TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 72 of 622

Re: BT Scam New

A couple of days ago, after installing BTCloud upgrade/update, all my music was absent. Yesterday I still couldn't select music files, artists or albums to try and rectify this ... so sort help via a BT Support chat board that came up on my screen after googling for BTCloud help. The person I interacted with apologised for the failure and asked for my phone number so he could get the BT Cloud Team to call me.

I recieved this call and the person took me few a series of questions (full name, address) to verify my account. Then he said he was now going to give me instructions to all me to pass control of my PC to them so they could rectify matters for me.

I told the person I didn't wish to do that and that I would terminate the call (and did)

This (rightly or wrongly) just struck me as "odd behaviour", and I have now uninstalled BTCloud

I found this thread and thought I would add this here to see what others think ..... comments would be welcomed ... including whether I over reacted.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 73 of 622

The scam calls that may be originating from BT happen after contact with Customer Services and there was no prior agreement that there would be a call back.

If you contacted Customer Services to report a fault and they said they would get the BT Cloud Team to call you back it and they did so shortly thereafter it would appear that what took place was genuine.

It is quite normal for BT Customer Services to ask to access your computer in order to establish if they can resolve problems.

It is of course your choice whether or not to allow that access based upon the interaction you have with the person who called you. If in doubt do not allow access.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 74 of 622

Re: BT Scam?

@javelinturn1944 wrote:

I get loads of adverts (some of them are scams). They come up day after day in spite of 'undescribe', blocking them and highlighting them under scam mail. It it that my 'blocking' procedure is under strength or what. I need answers J.D.

You would appear to be talking about emails that you receive. This thread is about scam telephone calls.

If you are getting spam or phishing emails DO NOT use their "unsubscribe" link. All you are doing is telling the scammers that they have an active email address and you will end up with much more spam.  All you can do is to keep marking them as spam and hopefully the BT email spam filters will eventually catch up and stop them.

TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 75 of 622

Ok ...... thanks for that

I followed your last paragraph, and have since uninstalled BT Cloud.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
evie7
Message 76 of 622

Re: Possible Scam?

Hi. I've received numerous calls like this and even recognise one voice as that of a previously regular caller supposedly from Microsoft. I reported to BT as  the guy clearly said he was from British Telecom Internet Security. I was assured by BT on Saturday that the number (01242513504) would be blocked, but I received 2 calls yesterday and 3 more today. Maybe BT are calling me to try to get me to buy a new call blocking 'phone!  Who knows.

evie7
Message 77 of 622

I say 'sweetly', Busy just now, leave number and I'll ring back. Thay hang up, but number is revealed on 1471...but you can't ring back.
wduncan
Message 78 of 622

Re: New India Phone Scam

Had a call from an indian gentleman this afternoon who said he was from BT services and gave me his BT ID and his name was Ricky? who told me my broadband had been disconnected because it was being hacked by people in Asia, he seemed very convincing until he asked me to log on to my online banking so they could check its security, we hung up at that stage but they kept ringing for at least half an hour after that. My broadband started again.

mjt81
Message 79 of 622

I just joined this forum even though I'm with Plus Net just to add that the same thing happened to me today.

I reported a broadband fault to Plus Net customer services and was expecting a call back after the engineer had carried out some tests. However the call I received back was from a woman with an Indian accent stating that she was from BT. She said she understood that I had a problem with my line and could she please talk to the main user of "the computer" as the problem was with corrupted files. I knew straight away this was a scam and tried to tell her just how many people were being hurt by it. It sounded like a busy call centre, and she insisted she was from BT and I could hang up if I liked, which I did.

When the engineer did phone back he said he tried before but the line was engaged. When I told him what had happened he asked his senior who said it had to be a coincidence. I can't believe that's true, hence searching online and finding this forum. I have reported it to Action Fraud.

So it doesn't seem as though the leak is to do with the BT call centre in India - in fact I didn't realise BT's call centre was in India before reading these posts. I had been talking to Plus Net in Yorkshire. I expect the problem may be more serious i.e. hacked infrastructure.
Message 80 of 622

My wife just received a call (probably from India) saying that they were a BT engineer and my router has been used by someone else.  My original response was that any BT user can use my Broadband router so long as they have registered to use it with BT.  But they insisted it was unauthorized use.  So I asked them to e-mail me about this as they should have my e-mail details.  But I have not received any e-mail since the original call a few hours back.  I am assuming that this is the scam as in this thread but with an ever evolving storyline.