cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Possible breach of security in India

Having read various posts re: Scams and Unsolicited Tech.Call, and going by my own recent experience, I think BT has a serious breach of security in their Indian Call Centre.

Too many people are reporting 'scam' calls, shortly after their report of a broadband fault, for this to be a 'coincidence'. It wasn't until now thatI realised that I too fell into this category. Shortly after reporting a fault, and after it had been escalated via this forum, and taken over by a moderator,  I too received a call from an 'Indian' call centre, and had put it down to poor communication on BT's part, left hand not knowing what rightt hand was doing!

However, looking back at the sequence of events, and reading other posts on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that I too was nearly scammed, and that there must be a serious leak at one of their call centres.

Come on BT, time to escalate this problem and take it seriously!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
SonicHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Possible breach of security in India

It's about time BT got their act together and stopped trying to do things on the cheap.

I imagine many of us are sick of trying to get sense out of people who are thousands of miles away and have accents that match their location. And no, this isn't one of those "I'm not racist, but..." posts. I just can't understand half of what they say.

If we all started messaging Ofcom and our MP every time BT screws up, then their shoddiness might climb up the political agenda a bit.

Olivers
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

This happened to me only 2 weeks ago. Broadband was faulty and I waited weeks to get it sorted then I received a call from India about my BT Hub being hacked and they needed my password for my hub..I smelt a rat instantly and then I thought someone at the BT call centre in India must be passing info to scammers to scam BT clients

Barry2205
Message 4 of 5

I had a call earlier from an Indian Call Centre, claiming to be BT Security - need to confirm that i am the name on the BT account. The call probably lasted more than 5 minutes and less than 10 minutes.

They / she told me my "braodband connection" had been hacked and being used for malicious calls and emails. "BT are getting multiple error messages from my broadband connection and need to investigate and warn you"  

I was immediatly suspicious and she repeated the reason for the call - though I nearly fell for it because i am concerned that my hub is faulty - she said she wanted to check things and help resolve the matter / protect us.

I checked the phone / caller ID and it was an unavailable number which i questioned - the answer was it is "an internet call rather than phone line and protocal not to disclose numbers for BT Security" - so i asked what is my name and she answered "This is BT Security and we cannot disclose your name"

I said this is a scam call but she went into full flow on what she needed to do while i was thinking about another question to ask. However she was cut off at her end NOT by me.  

I hung up and called BT on 100 and was put through to the nuisance call dept who were yes helpful, told me that the call was "not registered on my line so a scam and they had hidden the call from BT" - the BT (GENUINE) lady said BT Security would show caller ID and would give / use my name when calling me (which was/is my understanding). 

My concern was that the BT Nuisance call dept seemed more interested in selling me a phone to black scam calls!!! Having read the messages on these community boards i am now concerned about BT call centre staff in India passing on my details to the scammers. From my experience of working in thirld world countries genuine staff are in the pocket of scammers. 

Barry2205
Message 5 of 5

I had a call earlier from an Indian Call Centre, claiming to be BT Security - need to confirm that i am the name on the BT account. The call probably lasted more than 5 minutes and less than 10 minutes.

They / she told me my "broadband connection" had been hacked and being used for malicious calls and emails. "BT are getting multiple error messages from this broadband connection and need to investigate and warn you"  

I was immediatly suspicious and she repeated the reason for the call - though I nearly fell for it because i am concerned that my hub is faulty - she said she wanted to check things and help resolve the matter / protect us.

I checked the phone / caller ID and it was an unavailable number which i questioned - the answer was it is "an internet call rather than phone line and protocol not to disclose numbers for BT Security" - so i asked what is my name and she answered "This is BT Security and we cannot disclose your name"

I said this is a scam which she denied then she went into full flow on what she needed to do while i was thinking about another question to ask. However she was cut off at her end NOT by me.  

I hung up and called BT on 100 and was put through to the nuisance call dept who were yes helpful, told me that the call was "not registered on my line so a scam and they had hidden the call from BT" - the BT (GENUINE) lady said BT Security would show caller ID and would give / use my name when calling me (which was/is my understanding). 

My concern was that the BT Nuisance call dept seemed more interested in selling me a phone to block scam calls!!!

Having read the messages on these community boards i am now concerned about BT call centre staff in India passing on my details to the scammers. From my experience of working in third world countries genuine staff are in the pocket of scammers.