cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlanM25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Possible scam call

I had a couple of calls this morning with an international number. I normally ignore them but I answered the second one. The speaker, with a regional British accent, said he was calling from BT Openreach about the broadband connection. He knew my name. I asked him why the displayed number was an international number. He said it was because it was a VOIP call. I got him to confirm what company he was with and he confirmed it was BT OpenReach. I told him I did not trust the call and put the phone down. Was this a genuine call from BT?? - CLI 0066188275553, marked international, ?Thailand? If it was a genuine call then I apologise.
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Possible scam call

There is no such company as BT Openreach. Its simply Openreach, so its a scam.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 9

Yes, it’s number from Thailand. Can’t see Openreach calling from Thailand.

There were two calls logged in on BT Call Protect from this morning, they displayed a number, origin Bournemouth area, but left no message. Strange that they did not show on the phone handset logs, so I suppose that they are held in the BT database as junk. A website shows the caller as a BT scammer.

Call Protect is a useful BT extra.

Highlighted
AlanM25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

@RibblelancsI use Call Protect to screen the calls plus I let calls go to the answering machine if I don't recognise the numbers as being genuine, or they are withheld or international. The problem is that the hospital uses withheld when they call me, as does the doctor. It's pity they don't use presentation numbers, after all, we went to a lot of trouble starting in the mid 90s to get that introduced in the UK and, if my fading memory is correct, it went into the ITU ISUP recommndations; it could have been "Not Available" that went in, it was so long ago..... Well, about 4 years ago, I had a call from "BT" from a lady with a funny accent. I put the phone down and sent an email to someone in BT to check She sent a reply to say that it was from their Philipines call centre. So, Thailand is not an impossibility. Fake CLIs is a relatively easy thing, although OfTel/OfCom originally put the onus on the originating UK network to autheticate, or guarantee, the CLI. Calls from "overseas" are not checked nor are calls from a private network, unless things have changed since I put away my Recommendations. They hadn't then sorted out VOIP CLIs, but that was all years ago.
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 9

@AlanM25 wrote:
@RibblelancsI use Call Protect to screen the calls plus I let calls go to the answering machine if I don't recognise the numbers as being genuine, or they are withheld or international. The problem is that the hospital uses withheld when they call me, as does the doctor. It's pity they don't use presentation numbers, after all, we went to a lot of trouble starting in the mid 90s to get that introduced in the UK and, if my fading memory is correct, it went into the ITU ISUP recommndations; it could have been "Not Available" that went in, it was so long ago..... Well, about 4 years ago, I had a call from "BT" from a lady with a funny accent. I put the phone down and sent an email to someone in BT to check She sent a reply to say that it was from their Philipines call centre. So, Thailand is not an impossibility. Fake CLIs is a relatively easy thing, although OfTel/OfCom originally put the onus on the originating UK network to autheticate, or guarantee, the CLI. Calls from "overseas" are not checked nor are calls from a private network, unless things have changed since I put away my Recommendations. They hadn't then sorted out VOIP CLIs, but that was all years ago.

There’s still a lot of work to be done in call screening. As an example today two calls were logged in on Call Protect within 45 seconds. Handset did not ring.

I don’t block withheld or international numbers, as such, as I receive many calls from both.

Now in this specific case: 

Here’s the mystery:- Not logged on the telephone handset, but 1471 said that someone had called but number was not available to return the call.. A separate (call blocking) device logged the number as international, no number given. Call Protect gave the full number, shown with a +showing.

The calls just went to junk, but there was no increase in the junk call count. 

Someone somewhere, knew that the call was international, and knew the number, as junk. A check on a website confirmed this. Your Thai number on that same website did not show reported problems, though

SPG9
Message 6 of 9

Scam call today from INTERNATIONAL 01803864585 with call centre noise in background and a speaker with a South Asian accent/pronounciation. The introduction went "Hello Mr (total mispronounciation of my surname) I am calling today from BT Openreach about your internet connection". I stopped the conversation at this point by ending the call. This sounds very like previous scams (2016, this thread, etc, etc) I am pretty certain that this would have gone on to "There is a problem with your internet connection............"

mrsgreenberg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I've had two calls today, one from 01237557443 the other from 01200149849. I really don't need this, my Dad died last week and I'm in mourning.

Delilah
Message 8 of 9

Several days ago rcvd call which sounded as if came from India because of gentleman's accent.   He announced 'there is a fault with your computer with your BT Broadband and Internet' to which I replied (although he kept talking loudly throughout my response) that he was wrong because I do not have BT Broadband or internet or phone.  There was silence then he put phone down.  He called from 01475 371949 and I cannot ID this from usual 'who called me from' source.  IF this is a BT number then ?????? because I deserted BT completely three years ago when they finally did my head in after umpteen decades of stubbornly loyal custom but too many disasters to mention.  Has anyone else had calls from this number and if it is BT then why on earth would they be calling me .......... suspicious cos they knew my surname,

SPG9
Message 9 of 9

BT / Open Reach need to address this as it sounds as if whomever is calling has an old BT customer list, which would be a data breach under U.K. legislation. A response from BT would be worth having before it is taken to Ofcom.