cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Problems setting community mail.

I run my own mail server using iRedmail and recently tried changing the email address  linked to this Forum

The confirmation email was not sent to my requested address.  When I checked my server logs I found this.

Aug 24 19:24:26 mail postfix/smtpd[3508]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from outbound-dkim.eu.khoros-mail.com[34.255.61.190]: 450 4.1.8 <no-reply@community-mail.bt.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<no-reply@community-mail.bt.com> to=<raven@ravenstar68.co.uk> proto=ESMTP helo=<outbound-dkim.eu.khoros-mail.com>

Using DIG we find this:

; <<>> DiG 9.16.16 <<>> mx community-mail.bt.com @8.8.8.8
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 58367
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;community-mail.bt.com.         IN      MX

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
bt.com.                 599     IN      SOA     EDDNS0.bt.com. zzdnsr.bt.com. 2006028179 28800 7200 604800 600

;; Query time: 44 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 24 20:32:09 GMT Summer Time 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 100

Can you have someone look into this as it appears that the community server is identifying itself with a non existent address?

Tim

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problems setting community mail.

At the risk of my sounding stupid, I cannot see how the Community has its own email address. It is simply a forum where all exchanges are within the forum itself.

If you have seen an email address linked to the forum, what is it?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@ravenstar68 

no-reply@community-mail.bt.com

This is used by the forum software to send notifications and any subscribed threads, to registered users. It cannot be used to send messages to the forum.

If you have subscribed to this thread, then you will receive notifications when a new message is posted.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@Keith_Beddoe 

Remember that the Envelope Sender address is where notifications of non delivery are sent to.

Spammers use fake sender addresses so my server / (and others) reject mail from non existant domains.

Gmail accepted the mail but they are less strict in this regard, they use other means to filter the mail.

Tim

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@Carlushawrote:

At the risk of my sounding stupid, I cannot see how the Community has its own email address. It is simply a forum where all exchanges are within the forum itself.

@Carlusha Remember - when you sign up to the Forum, you're required to give an email address where Forum Notifications are to be sent to.  As part of the enrolment process, an email is sent to said address in order to verify that it is genune.

However my server uses SPF/DMARC and DKIM in order to validate the mail.

For SPF to work the Envelope sender domain must validate.

DKIM uses the domain in the DKIM header as well as an identifier - BUT if the Envelope senders domain is not valid - we don't get as far as DKIM or DMARC checks.

Tim

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@ravenstar68wrote:

@Carlushawrote:

@Carlusha Remember - when you sign up to the Forum, you're required to give an email address where Forum Notifications are to be sent to.  As part of the enrolment process, an email is sent to said address in order to verify that it is genune.

However my server uses SPF/DMARC and DKIM in order to validate the mail.

For SPF to work the Envelope sender domain must validate.

DKIM uses the domain in the DKIM header as well as an identifier - BUT if the Envelope senders domain is not valid - we don't get as far as DKIM or DMARC checks.

Tim

Ah, what confused me was your saying the "forum has it's own email address". In fact what you meant was YOUR email address by which the forum identifies you.

I simply used my BT email address.

I now understand the problem is elsewhere. Thanks.

0 Ratings