cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 91 of 118

Re: Ranking structure

Go to solution

Well I'm fine and dandy.  Just a bit of a shock to visit the new forum and discover much respected forum friends doing a warm up routine for the Rocky Horror Show together, and its quite shaken me really. Smiley Wink

(Oops, saying that was a big mistake as GD will spot an obvious next line of thought here).

I've been digging around for news of the VOIP.cab (or however they are going to do it) for HTC handsets, but found nowt.

Perhaps its not so bad here after all though.  Might have to play peeping Tom over the w/e from my new (cough) handset though.

"AQ". 

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 92 of 118

Go to solution

@AQ The temptation, Dahling, to dress in a black basque with fishnet tights and break into a chorus of "Let's Do the Time Warp" is well nigh irresistable! 

I would have included a visual, but my bandwidth is too low to achieve that.  Anyone have any bright ideas in a peer to peer sort of hellpful and informative way?

It's astounding, time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll
But listen closely, not for very much longer
I've got to keep control

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Message 93 of 118

Go to solution

A Frank n' Furtive answer there, I should say.  The low bandwidth has spared all of us untold nightmares and thats a fact.

So it is.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 94 of 118

Go to solution

On a serious (?) note.  It's fairly clear that the latest round of promotions was based entirely on "Forum age."  Nothing else (posts, ratings, etc) seems to have played any part in the promotion round.

No sign yet of KerryG making good on the promise.

Jarviser
Aspiring Expert
Message 95 of 118

Go to solution

@GeneralDisquiet wrote:

On a serious (?) note.  It's fairly clear that the latest round of promotions was based entirely on "Forum age."  Nothing else (posts, ratings, etc) seems to have played any part in the promotion round.

Wow - I'm a regular!

..... Jarviser's Home Hub Index
robinbredin
Aspiring Expert
Message 96 of 118

Go to solution

@GeneralDisquiet wrote:

No sign yet of KerryG making good on the promise.

If that's the case. I wonder why we had to re-register in order to use this new forum.

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 97 of 118

Go to solution

@robinbredin wrote:

If that's the case. I wonder why we had to re-register in order to use this new forum.

When I said "Forum age" I meant time since registration on the new forum - nothing to do with the old forum at all.

It's a great shame that rankings aren't based on both contributions to the old forum and to the new one.  There's a very practical reason for suggesting this and that is to allow newbies to get a feel for who is giving them advice and which advice might be most reliable.  That will emerge here, on the new forum, in time - but we could have had a head start.

I expect it was all too difficult for BT to work out a rating system based on past achievements.  That said, it would have pleased me and a lot of others if a couple of contributors to the old forum had been given a special status here - and I certainly wouldn't include myself amongst that august crowd.   Most notable of these, for me, are three individuals who gave me a great deal of help - directly, or indirectly - when I first arrived at the old forum and ever since:

Jarviser

Peter N and

Dorset Vinney

I'm sure others of you from the old days might pick a different top 3, but my betting would be that Jarviser would be in most lists.

It would give me the greatest of pleasure to see Jarviser given the status of "Guru" - with an Avatar of either the Maharishi Mahesh Jarvis, or a picture of the shed in which he Jarvises!   Of course, as he only pops in here from time to time, as befits a great guru, perhaps his Avatar should play a tune to warn his accolytes of his presence.

PS.  For goodness sake don't tell Jarviser, or the others, I suggested this!

Tags (1)
Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 98 of 118

Go to solution

Once we start mentioning gurus of course, then we may have to consider the complex and dubious area of forum reincarnation. Whoops - I never said that. Smiley Wink

There is also the tricky area of forum subject matter. Sometimes forum users are in need of occasionally urgent friendly helpful peer to peer support to protect themselves from nefarious activity on the internet from a variety of sources. This may be seen as helpful by other customers, but not by those whose interests are served by the nefarious activity. It can make the business of ranking a sensitive one.  Occasionally the requirements of the ISP and the ISPs customers may appear to conflict and the friendly supportive peer to peer environment doesn't quite work so well and the rules feel a bit like throwing dice. Smiley Sad

I can think of several topics that fellow friendly supportive peer to peer users here might appreciate advice on. But there are difficulties in giving such advice as our friendly supportive peer to peer environment here is subject to certain numerological, chronological and topical restraints. (see rule 6)

In the interests of peer to peer friendly support.

I'm on triicky ground. Perhaps we should get back to the safer more supportive, friendly peer to peer topic of sequins, pink slippers and faux fur? Much more useful. Smiley Very Happy

Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
Redflake
Aspiring Expert
Message 99 of 118

Go to solution

One should use the correct footwear when on tricky ground.

Wellies or waders would be good when it appears one is wading through treacle.

Although a good pair of wide slippers may be useful when on quicksand or other tricky sandy soil.

Sometimes one needs a pair of hobnail boots to kick em up the ****.Smiley Wink

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 100 of 118

Go to solution
There's nothing to beat a pair of well-bulled ammunition boots, hobnails crackling on the parade square. Why it quite brings a lump to my throat.