cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 1 of 3

Sales Calls from BT

Over the past months I've had 2 phone calls from BT re:- Mobile Phone SIM cards.

As an existing customer, this is to be expected, perhaps.

However the first call showed a number on caller display, can't remember the number, it was only by chance that I answered it: the caller was promoting the new Family SIM Card, which I declined.

Yesterday, 6.00 PM, I received a call shown as Unavailable, Out of Area, and a separate device showed the call as VOIP (no number displayed).

I ended the call, very politely of course, Smiley Indifferent without waiting for details.

In view of all the scam phone calls coming through at the moment, it would be unwise for BT sales to call from VOIP....or was the call a potential scam?? 

2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Sales Calls from BT

Best to opt out of marketing calls altogether (though in my experience you might have to ask more than once and get stroppy). I hate cold calling with a vengeance, whoever it is, partly because it's an intrusion and a flaming cheek, and partly because the prevalence of "genuine" calls provides camouflage for scammers. The sooner the government stops poncing around with the issue and bans all cold calling unless positively agreed by the target, the better.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Sales Calls from BT

@pottyperson wrote:

Best to opt out of marketing calls altogether (though in my experience you might have to ask more than once and get stroppy). I hate cold calling with a vengeance, whoever it is, partly because it's an intrusion and a flaming cheek, and partly because the prevalence of "genuine" calls provides camouflage for scammers. The sooner the government stops poncing around with the issue and bans all cold calling unless positively agreed by the target, the better.

Thanks for the link, which is interesting.

Perhaps the (BT) voip call was genuine, after all, then. It helps to be very polite (honest!) when answering such calls. But the problem that let the caller down was that the volume was very faint, which can happen with Skype, type, calls.

I do receive Skype calls from relatives abroad, but they are more tech savvy, (both IT Pros) and have been doing it for years.

However, back to BT: I don't mind their sales calls, if they are infrequent, as you can chat with them. There's sometimes some salesmans' imagination involved though.

When BT TV started, on ADSL, I received many calls promoting it. Not much use here on a Freeview lite transmitter.

It didn't stop the calls, but they did -indirectly- lead me to Freesat.