cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pilfy
Message 1 of 4

Scam Call - How was my number obtained

I've received a call over the weekend from a gentleman trying to scam me, trying to get access to my computer by claiming that he was from BT.

Now I'm fully aware of this type of scam but what I am not aware of is how this gentlemen got hold of my phone number. I am a new customer with a new number, there is no company aware of my number apart from BT. Is it possible that BT are leaking these numbers to the 'SCAM centres' in India? Also, is it possible that BT are profiting from this sale of information and somewhere in the small print have I given permission for BT to profit from me in such a way? 

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Scam Call - How was my number obtained

It's a computer that dials thousands of numbers not a person sitting dialling them. It will eventually get your number and when you answer it that confirms it's live and it then connects you to the scammer you spoke to.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Welcome to this user forum. @Pilfy

No, they just dial numbers at random. There is no such thing as a new number, they are all recycled old numbers, so its possible your "new" number was already on the scammers list as soon as it became active again.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@Pilfy wrote:

I've received a call over the weekend from a gentleman trying to scam me, trying to get access to my computer by claiming that he was from BT.

Now I'm fully aware of this type of scam but what I am not aware of is how this gentlemen got hold of my phone number. I am a new customer with a new number, there is no company aware of my number apart from BT. Is it possible that BT are leaking these numbers to the 'SCAM centres' in India? Also, is it possible that BT are profiting from this sale of information and somewhere in the small print have I given permission for BT to profit from me in such a way? 

Unless the gentleman in question addressed you by name, he didn't know 'your' telephone number. A telephone number is just a sequence of digits, there is nothing secret, the whole world is aware of your number but not that it belongs to you.