Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graham_wright
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Scam Phone Calls

Go to solution

I have had 3 such phone calls over the last 2 weeks.

Again this is after talking to BT's call center in India.

So as well as being incapable of actually resolving any faults they are a security risk.

kennway
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

I have just received a call from an Asian man with an english name. who told me that my computer was allowing messages or links down the broadband system, and BT was going to shut my broadband off , but he could fix it if i went onto my computer. I told him to put it in a letter from BT & I would contact them. He went off. ?? a Scam 

Highlighted
Baker1
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Several calls today from overseas with noisy background purporting to be from BT and the lady warning me of a threat to my computer as they can tell from the server that others are about to obtain my IP address. They wanted me to run a program which they stared to dictate. Suspicious, I asked for a number phone back on and was given 0208 144 8871. A very plausible gentleman said he was from the Internet Technical Department and was based at 81 Newgate Street (the BT HQ). He said his agent would phone me back and she did, again from overseas. I asked for her employee ID number and she gave me 007 and the website ***edited by Mod***This is clearly a scam.

Realist1949
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Had one from 0151 727 4393 which appears to be a Fish and Chip Business in Toxteth. It appears thet the number is not reconised when ringing back. The "lady" who rang explained about hackers bypassing security and after a lengthy discusion decided I was an "idiot" and put the phone down. This "company " perporting to BT have also tried access card details previously ( a guy Called John) who gets really annoyed when I asked if he could supply my BT account Number and declined to pass on the info due to "Data Protection". I wonder if it is time to leave BT and find another internet supplier

Tags (1)
BigOllyH
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

DEALING WITH NUISANCE, ABUSIVE, SPOOF AND COLD CALLS*

I am not the oracle on this subject, but having had more than our fair share of nuisance calls, recommend (some or all of)  the following:-

Get a phone with caller number display facility.

1. Sign up for Caller Display.
  2. Sig up to have your number withheld when making calls.
  3. Record a message similar to this:

"We do NOT answer calls when the number is withheld, or unavailable.  However a message can be left, for the call to be returned, if it is considered justified."

1. When you receive calls as listed above* (unfortunately, my wife has an aversion to leaving the phone ringing) after the call is ended, ALWAYS save the caller's number to your handset, and list it accordingly. For example, I have 49 numbers saved, ranging from 'Scam - Ignore' to 'Cold Call -Survey' 'PPI Scam' etc, etc.  The next time the same company/person rings, it reminds you who it is, and you can ignore it.  We have recently had two calls from an Indian male.  As soon as I spoke he went into a tirade of abuse "You M*ther F***er, Do you know what I'm saying......"  The call was from a non-geographical number (021).   Since then (at 04.06) we had another such call.  But the phone we have also allows the user to set times when calls will be silent.   Our phone does NOT ring between 2300 and  0700.   It was very helpful in the case of the (possibly deranged) individual who called me last week at 0406hrs.

The latest models of phones have all sorts of extra facilities (for want of a better word!) and it is very helpful in this day and age when so many companies have an automated system where a series of numbers are called by using software.

BigOllyH
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

If I were you, I would ignore them (so long as you have caller ID.) If not, I'd get it, well worth the reduction in hassle from salespeople.

Phone-scams
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

A new scam on me.  Yesterday I received a landline call, a taped message, an American woman's voice.  She said that my BT internet would be cut off in 24 hours if I did not log in by pressing 1.  Note: I do not have BT internet!  This morning, I received a similar taped call claiming to be from BT, the time limit was now 20 minutes.  A couple of hours later received a third taped call saying I was about to be cut off, but this time the woman did not claim to be from BT.

I never pressed  '1' after any call.

On call back, call 2 had come from 01498 815737.  Call 3 came from 01880 963 658   

Phone-scams
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

A new scam on me.  Yesterday I received a landline call, a taped message, an American woman's voice.  She said that my BT internet would be cut off in 24 hours if I did not log in by pressing 1.  Note: I do not have BT internet!  This morning, I received a similar taped call claiming to be from BT, the time limit was now 20 minutes.  A couple of hours later received a third taped call saying I was about to be cut off, but this time the woman did not claim to be from BT.

I never pressed  '1' after any call.

On call back, call 2 had come from 01498 815737.  Call 3 came from 01880 963 658   

Tags (1)
Phone-scams
Beginner
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

An update:  A couple of hours after my last posting I received another taped call similar to the earlier ones.  This said that it was from my 'internet provider' saying that my IP had been compromised and my internet service would be cut off in 24 hours and that I should press '1' immediatly.  On checking, there was no call back number this time. 

pompey1898
Expert
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

@Phone-scamswrote:

An update:  A couple of hours after my last posting I received another taped call similar to the earlier ones.  This said that it was from my 'internet provider' saying that my IP had been compromised and my internet service would be cut off in 24 hours and that I should press '1' immediatly.  On checking, there was no call back number this time. 

Hi @Phone-scams,

These are notning new,there are several threads on the issue.  The last of these by a Mod requesting we report then using this form :- https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/