Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Scam Phone Calls

Go to solution
Just interested to know if anything is ever done about Scam callers. For example I have received 9 calls in the past 6 days, normal thing, e.g. your wireless connection is infected etc. They totally refuse to give up. Have had to block the 2 numbers that they always come from 01818894554 and 01818894556. Is this something we just have to live with or does anyone ever do anything about them. I have reported them to BT but never get any response so assume I am wasting my time.
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 20

Re: Scam Phone Calls

Go to solution

You can report them here:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

and some calls here:

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

toekneem

(EASBF)

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

The numbers must be spoofed as the 0181 code for outer London has been obsolete for more than 15 years.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

We have an answerphone and never bother picking up any calls (unless we know the callers), that's our answer to these nuisance callers.

Ozzig
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution
I found mine stopped after I managed to waste 30 minutes of their time without being sold anything.

I also quite enjoyed winding them up 🙂

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

@Ozzig wrote:
I found mine stopped after I managed to waste 30 minutes of their time without being sold anything.

I also quite enjoyed winding them up 🙂

This sounds a familiar story, especially where spoofed numbers are involved.

I'm getting calls from some [spray can] (work it out for yourself), who repeatedly changes the last digits of the numbers.

If your phone has it's own answering machine then you can switch that on during daytime, when most of these calls come through. Leave it on 4 rings to answer before BT's answer service. Real callers will leave a message, and also the number shows in your handset listing of callers.

I report calls to ico, and it's useful to read who is on their investigation listing.

There are other call blockers such as the BT 8600, or CPR. It's your choice, but you can go on forever looking for the best device.

redflask
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

I was plagued for ages.....got really fed up. Finally, when they rang again to say there was a problem with my computer I simply said " I don't have a computer." This ended the conversation within 10 seconds and I have not heard from them since. 

Dode
Expert
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

If your phone has caller display and also an address book then you can put all your popular callers in the address book and when the phone rings if a name doesn't appear then just let the answer machine take it, if you have one. Probably you won't have everyone in the address book but it sure makes things a lot easier.Smiley Wink

Neil1
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

@Dode wrote:

If your phone has caller display and also an address book then you can put all your popular callers in the address book and when the phone rings if a name doesn't appear then just let the answer machine take it, if you have one. Probably you won't have everyone in the address book but it sure makes things a lot easier.Smiley Wink

I thought of this but the trouble is that you can miss calls that might be of use to you. For example, Sky rang me with an extremely tempting offer for Sky Q. In my experience, these type of callers don't leave a message and, as I am out quite a lot, I might miss a second call

At the moment I seem to be in a spate of calls from India (although the last one insisted that she was in Watford!) so guess a list with my number on it is doing the rounds. To be honest I quite enjoy winding them up.....

Suzie2
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Never had any of these calls until reported a fault with BT B/Band on their live chat thingy with some foreign guy.  Almost immediatley these calls started saying they were BT etc etc.  Someone in their emply passed on my number obviously.  This morning the caller informed me of changes to my account. I hung up.