cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjhk
Message 11 of 22

Re: Scam call "from BT"

I also have had at least 3 calls in 2 days (couple of silent calls, call centre type background noise). First the usual someone accessed your line between 2-4 o'clock. Second says I want to terminate my internet acct ( number 0011883709532). Third claimed to be from BT Openreach the access thing again. Told them I am an IT professional and not to ring again.

All callers have thick Indian accents and line is poor.

For what Its worth I am convinced that they know your age (otherwise why ring during the working day) and that they are targetting those over retirement age as they believe them to be more gullible.

Message 12 of 22

Re: Scam call from BT

I had a call from BT Openreach.  He said he'd discovered my router speed was less than it should be and wanted to walk me through fixing it.  The got me to do a speedtest.net - my speeds were fine but he said they weren't and they could increase them.  He got me to go to the windows event viewer and said the errors there were being sent to their router.  This was incorrect information so I now was very suspicious.  He then tried to get me to run Teamviewer which would have enabled him to take over  my PC and basically do anything.  I told him he was not BT because BT would never ask me to run Teamviewer and then said he could prove he was by typing something which did not prove anything.  Eventually he hung up.  

Beware of this scam once taking over your PC he could do anything.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

What did he type and how could you see it. Was it viewable on your computer?

philip16
Message 14 of 22

I have just experienced an hour of phone calls from Indian guys claiming that they were from Openreach and saying that they wanted to fix my Router problem. When I refused to link them to my PC via Teamviewer and they became very abusive over the phone threatening to cut off my BT telephone line straight away. The thing that worries me greatly is that the calls started just a short time after I was speaking to BT about a Broadband and Router problem.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

philip16
Message 16 of 22

I have just experienced an hour of phone calls from Indian guys claiming that they were from Openreach and saying that they wanted to fix my Router problem. When I refused to link them to my PC via Teamviewer and they became very abusive over the phone threatening to cut off my BT telephone line straight away. The thing that worries me greatly is that the calls started just a short time after I was speaking to BT about a Broadband and Router problem.
hippy
Message 17 of 22

I have had 2 calls this morning telling me that my broadband will be off for up to 2 weeks and asked me to open my lap top, at this point I told the caller that they were making fraudulant calls as I had contacted BT last week when I had another call , they had told me it was frauduent. The phone number they used today was 0010112, the line was clear but all had Asian accents. It is very worrying to think how many people will do as they are asked and have their details accessed, and I was dismayed at how hard I found it to contact BT about these calls . They should do as the Inland Revinue do and have a phone number and email address for reporting and easy access to information.

Message 18 of 22

Re: Scam call "from BT"

Same here. Had one call right now, male, Indian. I cut short as soon as he told me their server recorded a malfunction on my broadband. He said to be from BT Infinity and that his name was Mark Ham.

cagneyman
Message 19 of 22

I usually string them along until they get so frustrated that they hang up. Yesterday, they called agin saying that I was getting a new Modem. I was a bit busy so just asked if "Chris'" mother was proud of him being a thief and a scammer. He quickly hung up.

Highlighted
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 22

How worthwhile is it to begin these conversations with the question:

"Can you repeat my BT Account Number before we continue?"

since they purport to be from BT. 

In the above comments people have spent hours with the scammers, but were the scammers ever asked a security question?