Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Salma
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Scam caller

Hi All

Hope I am posting on the corret form, first time for me posting on here, 

Just to make all aware the broadband scam is on the scene again in 2019, just took a call earlier today details as per below 

1) Call received on landline at 15.20 on 04/01/2019 caller stated "I am from BT Broadband call centre"(Indian accent) "calling about your broadband which has been compromised and is being used by someone else for possible fraudulent purposes".

2) Caller then stated if cannot resolve the issue then the broadband will have to be disconnected

3) Caller then stated "are you using a PC now"

4) At first I said yes then felt something was not right and asked for the callers phone number

5) Caller hung up

6) I then searched the internet for BT Broadband scams and discovered this is a typical scam call

7) Checked landline for incoming number could not find any details logged on the phone as incoming number so dialled 1471

😎 Got number as scam caller had not withheld it, 01382 226304 have not called it back and will not be doing so

Have reported this matter to BT and to the Police via action fraud on line.  

7 REPLIES 7
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Scam caller

It's a constant battle to keep them at bay, you can report the number using Report a scam call
Never give them any info or access to your devices, just hang up on them, to check if it was genuine you can also call BT directly on 150 from any BT line or BT mobile or 0800 800 150 from any other network.

Message 3 of 8

Hi @Salma

Have you reported it here https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

Salma
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hi Thank you  for your reply, I did report it to the link that you have kindly provided earlier, my concern with that report was that there does not appear to be any acknoweldgement or log number of the report, so reported it to the Police via action fraud on line as well.   

Thank you though for your response   

Salma
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi Thank you very much for your reply I did also report this earlier to the ink you have kindly provided, but no acknwoledgemnt is provided or log reference, so went on to eport to the Police via action fraud on line as well.

Thank you very muich for your response. 

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

@Salmawrote:

Hi Thank you  for your reply, I did report it to the link that you have kindly provided earlier, my concern with that report was that there does not appear to be any acknoweldgement or log number of the report, so reported it to the Police via action fraud on line as well.   

Thank you though for your response   

Hi, you may not get a response, since I would expect 10s of 1000s of people will start to report these numbers. The problem is the numbers are pretty much all spoofed by scammers using VoIP systems. The number range is actually valid in this case, most of the time they seem to be on ranges not allocated.

Hence the range (01382 22xxxx) can't be blocked. If the single number is blocked, either individually or globally, then if it's currently not allocated, it could be in the future and may cause real issues. Scammers know this, hence change the number all the time to get around blocks.

There is nothing that can be done about this at present, and is a worldwide issue. They could block VoIP services accessing the network, but more and more companies are using it - with BT saying their network would be all VoIP by 2025.

frustrated9
Message 7 of 8

Afternoon all, as with previous caller, we had an automated call this lunchtime from 01352 721186 informing us that we had an internet problem and asking us to press 1 or 2 to solve the problem.  Didn't respond! My concern is that we already are on 'bt protect' or whatever, and we have now regsitered this as a nuisance number using 1572. However who do we report this to?  I've noted all the earlier advice, but am getting lost in contradicting advice. Doesn't help that we rang the nuisance call advice line to report this, but had to hang up after 10 mins of ringing without response.

Grr!

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@frustrated9wrote:

Afternoon all, as with previous caller, we had an automated call this lunchtime from 01352 721186 informing us that we had an internet problem and asking us to press 1 or 2 to solve the problem.  Didn't respond! My concern is that we already are on 'bt protect' or whatever, and we have now regsitered this as a nuisance number using 1572. However who do we report this to?  I've noted all the earlier advice, but am getting lost in contradicting advice. Doesn't help that we rang the nuisance call advice line to report this, but had to hang up after 10 mins of ringing without response.

Grr!

Hi, welcome to the forums

As mentioned in message 3 of this thread, report it to :-

https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

BT are not very open with their advice on BT Call Protect. It does NOT stop these calls as the scammers change the called from number using VoIP systems.

01352 721 range is allocated to BT, so they will not be blocking it. A personal block is fine, though it may not help in the long run as scammers change the number as I said.