cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Scam

Hi guys my elderly Dad had a call from BT today saying his internet was sending suspicious stuff ?. He spent about 3 hours on the phone with them , he said a engineer gave him an address and number to put in on his laptop , and not to use the internet I am obviously very worried he has been scammed. I have told him not to answer when they call back in the morning and to go to his bank ASAP.  Am I correct in assuming BT will never cold call . 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Scam

The call was not from BT. It is a scam. 

BT will never make an unsolicited call to tell you there is a problem with your Internet.

You will need to change all his passwords and contact any banks etc if he does Internet banking. They usually have a 24hr security service that can assist.

You should also check his computer for malware that may have been installed by the scammers

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Sage , 

As I expected it would be as soon as he told me   I knew it was  a scam unfortunately I only found out 5 hours after they called , my son is going to sort his laptop out at work for him wipe it , he's contacting the  bank as well . I have urged him not to answer them again . 

thanks for your reply .

Denise 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You also need to report the issue to Action Fraud.

Make a note of time and date of the call received and caller ID.

As mentioned, change all passwords contact the bank and let them know what's happened.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks  for your reply we will report it to Action Fraud . 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Denise135 You've done the right thing by reporting this to your Dads Bank and the previous advice to clean the PC and change passwords would also be highly recommended.

Here's the link for Action Fraud and I'd also recommend the following link to Report A Scam call directly to BT.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Spoiler
Thanks Neil for the links I'll certainly help him do this . 
0 Ratings