cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Received a phone call this morning from an 'unavailable' number poporting to be from BT. The Indian lady said that they had received information that I had problems with my broadband and wanted me to change some of the settings on my computer. At that stage I hung up. Was it a scam or was I rude to a BT representative trying to be helpful?

8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Scam?

Go to solution

Why on earth would BT ring you to fix a problem (that you didn't know existed)? It is hard enough to get them to fix anything when you ring them. It was most defiinitely a scam.

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Just took a further call from an Indian gentleman to say that 'the Hub I am using needs to be replaced in 48 hours'. I hung up again. Hope that it is not really BT.....

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

It 100% is NOT BT. 

Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

We had three days of two calls a day from people claiming to be from BT.  Apparently my router was downloading viruses / needed replacing.  They wanted me to go to a specific webpage. Obviously a scam so depending on how much time I had I kept them talking for between 5 and 15 mins before asking them to hold until they hung up.  🙂

josh

Gunfios
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I had exactly the same call yesterday and I must have upset him, after wasting his time for around 1/2 hr pretending to be at my pc I told him I didn't actually own a PC and hung up. Within 3 second the phone rang and he called me a M*****F***** Smiley Very Happy

JPotter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Re: Scam? No question mark needed!

Go to solution

And another? 'Local hackers are accessing my broadband and BT needs to shut the connection down'..... Rang off when I asked to see a reference on the BT website.

It's good that this community shares such things but is BT warning customers not to react to these criminals? If BT wants to and can check, the call came into my landline at exactly 10.00 this morning. My caller had an accent as if from the sub-continent.

Message 8 of 9

Re: Scam? No question mark needed!

Go to solution

The trouble is that an accent 'as if from the sub-continent (?) could still be a BT from a call centre in India or the UK.