cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Simultaneous BT Text and e-mails (with PIN numbers) plus landline calls re wifi

Today, Friday 02 July 2021, between 11:50 a.m. and 11:53, we received, purportedly from BT:

1. a text on the same 'Messaging conversation' as I receive BT texts (about e.g. Digital Voice switchovers, FFTP installation dates) giving a 4-digit PIN number,

2. three emails from btcomms@info.bt.com all with the same 4-digit PIN number (but a different PIN number to the one given in the text), and

3. a landline call from a number 0203 630 0389 telling us - in a voice with a strong Asian accent - that our wifi was slow because someone was piggy-backing it. My wife asked them to call back when I was in and in the subsequent few minutes received 3 further calls from 0203 630 0843,  - 0993 and - 0444 which she (wisely?) ignored.

The simultaneity of these events suggests they are related. The initial 8 digits of the phone numbers are reported as similar to those used by scammers in India. The text and emails are utterly convincing, giving all my account details, email address etc. correctly as they appear in standard BT communications. I can only imagine that some of the links take you to areas it's best not to go.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Simultaneous BT Text and e-mails (with PIN numbers) plus landline calls re wifi

Could be that someone has called BT and tried to impersonate you. Might be worth calling 150 to check, and maybe ask to set a password on your account as well to add a layer of safety on to that aspect of things.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Simultaneous BT Text and e-mails (with PIN numbers) plus landline calls re wifi

Yes. Thanks. This explanation on another enquiry seems to explain it even more fully:

'Re: Scam or genuine?

@hclements They don't have your mobile number. They try and access your BT account by going through the Forgot Password route. BT then send you the text, so it's genuine. The scammers then ask you to read it back to them, to prove it's you. They can then access your account and change the password. They usually work in pairs, one keeps you talking on the phone while the other does the dirty work. If you didn't give them the code you're OK.'

The text and the emails are genuine which is why they appear genuine!!

0 Ratings