cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rupie
Message 1 of 11

Stuck between Rock and hard place.

Got an interesting prolem and I just dont know how to solve it, see below.

My village got Fibre 3 years ago, I was one of the first to be connected and had speeds of 20mbs, even though the box is 1800m from my house, all was fine. It has now dropped to a fraction of that.  Openreach have been out and found the box is over subscribed and my PSTN line also loops through another box 400m from my house, which now has fibre.  They say the only way to solve issue is to disconnect from far and reconnect to near box.

The problem I have is that my BB and line is not from the same people.  My line is BT, my BB is another.  So my BB supplier have no weight getting the line changed, only I can do that and I, as a constomer have no weight with BT as the line is not faulty for phone calls, as what I pay for.  Nor can I talk to openreach or wholsale, but my BB provider can but they won't listern ?

Changing to the same provider for both is no gaurentee of a solution unless I completely dissconnect from the system and loose my landline number and BB, starting from scratch as it were.

Suggestions ?

10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Stuck between Rock and hard place.

@Rupie

Only your current ISP can deal with this, BT Retail would not be able to help, as you do not get your broadband from them.

Rupie
Message 3 of 11

BT Wholesale are telling my ISP that they cant do what they want as it is my line, not theirs.  So how do I know who is telling the truth ?  But the problem is definatly with BT as they have routed the line wrong, I have an engineers report that confirms that.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

The line is owned by Openreach, and is only rented out to BT Retail, if they are your phone provider.

Openreach will not re-route your line.

See https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another."

Rupie
Message 5 of 11

In my situation the fibre first came to the far cabinet, it was then linked to my copper line that then runs to the nearer cabinet.  It then runs to my house.  Now fibre runs to the nearer cabinet, so everyone thinks it is possible; I have it in at least two reports, including the visiting Engineer and BT wholsale, they are just not doing it on my ISP's say so.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

As you are not a BT Broadband customer, and your phone line is not faulty, nobody on this forum will be able to help.

Try posting on your own ISPs forum, and see if you can get advice there.

Rupie
Message 7 of 11

Thats where the rock and hard place comes into it.  Your last responce seems quite adrupt, with all due respect, I can ask for help whever I like.

Actually there is a fault in the system, which has meant my speeds have dropped, The cause of this is with openreach,  I have evedence of that.  It is also running at download speeds below what even they would expect for the line.  I just need to be able to get as much information so I can solve the issue.

I am also pushing my ISP they are being just as unhelpful.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@Rupie

This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

Sorry I cannot be any help.

Contact your ISP for speed issues, they can arrange an Openreach visit. If the speed is below the estimated speed that you were given when you started your broadband contract, then they may let you cancel.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@Rupie wrote:

Thats where the rock and hard place comes into it.  Your last responce seems quite adrupt, with all due respect, I can ask for help whever I like.

Actually there is a fault in the system, which has meant my speeds have dropped, The cause of this is with openreach,  I have evedence of that.  It is also running at download speeds below what even they would expect for the line.  I just need to be able to get as much information so I can solve the issue.

I am also pushing my ISP they are being just as unhelpful.

You can ask for help wherever you like, but it does not mean you will get any. Your own ISP is the only one who can help you.

If "there is a fault in the system"  your ISP is the only one who can contact Openreach on your behalf and request that they investigate your problem.

There is nothing further this forum can do for you.

Rupie
Message 10 of 11

You can ask for help wherever you like, but it does not mean you will get any.

Interesting responces, quite passive agressive, specially as I was after advice and in no way blaming anybody.  My problem would appear to be a little different to ones had by others.  I have been looking into this for a while and am sure of a few facts, i'm not stupid and dont need to be talked down to.  You could be right, it may be down to my ISP, which I am complaining to them as well.

But I need to find out as much info as I can to be able to get what I need, so yes I will ask whever I like and sorry if sometimes it is not liked.  Not really sure why you all are being agressive.  I'm also fully aware that this is a customer forum, which is why no blame was targeted, I just wanted advice.

But clearly this line of enquiry is a bit of a dead end so thanks for everything.