cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmer1
Message 21 of 47

Re: WARNING SCAM Phone Calls purporting to be from BT 0800 169 1608

I have also been pestered by a caller from this number today and yesterday claiming to be from BT. If after all this time BT are still allowing this to continue one can only throw up their arms in dispair.  It seems they have no regard for thier customers

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 47

@farmer1 wrote:

I have also been pestered by a caller from this number today and yesterday claiming to be from BT. If after all this time BT are still allowing this to continue one can only throw up their arms in dispair.  It seems they have no regard for thier customers

BT do not "allow" these calls to continue. There is nothing they can do to stop them. The call number that you see will be a spoofed number, not a UK traceable number.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc...

Do you honestly think that any scammer worth their salt would use a number that could be traced back to them!

WHAT IS CALLER ID SPOOFING?

Caller ID spoofing is the process of changing the caller ID to any number other than the calling number. When a phone receives a call, the caller ID is transmitted between the first and second ring of the phone. To transmit the caller ID, Scammers use a technique called Frequency Shift Keying, which transmits the caller ID in a binary format. It is possible, during this part of the call, to transmit the caller ID  they want instead of the true number.

RapidSloth
Message 23 of 47

Exactly the same for me.

I recently ordered BT phone & broadband and have now started to receive calls from 0800 169 1608 ... very strange!

Tags (1)
Stompa
Contributor
Message 24 of 47

Hmmm, I arranged to switch my line away from BT yesterday, and received a call from this number today. It was blocked by my BT8500. I cant help wondering if it may be a legit automated call from BT?

flash22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 47

Bt has a serious data leak in its indian call centers,

Had phone calls from BT 2 days running from a 00 163 and  0026355897 numbers (spoofed meaningless numbers) perporting to be BT saying there is a hacker on my line (yeah right)

This is a mere 10 days after a i had a fault repaired, and they knew some but not all details

Im sure the press would have a field day with this

prm1
Contributor
Message 26 of 47

All very interesting ... our broadband was down yesterday and I asked for notification on my landline when it was fixed.  It was fixed @ c.22:00 last night and I've had 2 calls from this morning whilst I was out.

So the conspiracy theories of scammers accessing BT data so that they can entrap those BT customers that are actually expecting a BT call are a bit scarey.  

My conclusions are that BT have erred in at least one of 3 ways

1.  They have used a number to contact me that they know to be linked to scammers.

2.  They still have a security flaw that is allowing scammers to access numbers of customers expecting a call back.

3.  They haven't even bothered to get back to me.

One way or another nothing really surprises me about the company.

ade2
Message 27 of 47

I had a missed call from this number yesterday morning. Shortly afterwards my internet connection was lost. My home hub failed to connect to broadband for the rest of the day. My phone line was also crackling badly. I was going to report it but tried my home hub again this morning and it connected. After I had been online for half an hour the phone rang. It was a silent call from the same number. Are the scammers able to interrupt your broadband connection to make you think there's a problem in the hope that you will phone them to report it?

Message 28 of 47

@ade2 the 08001631608 number is a genuine BT number and not a scam call.  The call is normally from our marketing team offering special deals to re-contract your services.  

I think it was a coincidence that you experienced issues with your service on the same day, noise on the line will cause issues with your broadband and I'd recommend you report a fault if the noise returns. 

Highlighted
ade2
Message 29 of 47

This thread has been running for over 2 years and only now does BT tell us it's a genuine marketing call. However, this still doesn't excuse the silent call I received from this number when I answered on Tuesday. I thought UK generated silent calls were illegal.

redchinasky
Message 30 of 47

Re: Scam or not

I have also been receiving calls from BT Openreach to tell me that hackers are trying to hack into my account. They have asked me to go to my computer and log onto a website where they say that they can prove that they are BT Openreach by giving me a computer key that only they can provide. I know that is rubbish and have challenged them, asked for a number to call them etc. This time they became downright rude and hung up.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have also raised an alert with BT Openreach directly and am waiting for them to get back to me.

Tags (1)