cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NooNoosdad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 47

WARNING SCAM Phone Calls purporting to be from BT 0800 169 1608

At 08:55 today I received a phone call from 0800 169 1608. An Automated message was left purporting to be from BT and prompting me to press numbers on my keypad I.e. if I was the Account holder press 1 etc. As I was concerned it could be something important, I tried to recall the number but connected to another automated message again purporting to be from BT and that if required, they would ring back. After Googling the phone number I became suspicious and contacted BT directly to see if they had any knowledge about calling me. They informed me that it was not BT, it was a SCAM call and to email them at dcrex@bt.com with the details. According some entries on Google this scammier is trying to obtain Account details and God knows whatever else ! This afternoon I received a call back from the Real BT reassuring me that it was definately not them calling earlier and that they would be carrying out an investigation and would recontact me again in a few days time.

46 REPLIES 46
deanne
Message 2 of 47

Re: WARNING SCAM Phone Calls purporting to be from BT 0800 169 1608

Thanks for the heads up! I heard from the news that there has been a huge increase in the number of scam calls using BT and everyone is warned to be wary of such calls. The scammers might claim that there were suspicious activities on your account and urge you to contact your bank. However, thanks to their clever tactics, the criminal never really hangs up so when you go call your bank, you’ll be talking to the same person. This gives the fraudster an opportunity to collect your personal info as well as your Pin or online banking details. In some cases, scammers even manage to trick their victims into transferring money directly into another account.
So let this be a warning. Share the info to family and friends, too.
deanne
Message 3 of 47

So before you or anyone you know falls victim to the scheme, bear these tips in mind:
•Be suspicious of unexpected phone calls asking for personal or financial information, regardless of who they claim to represent.
•Be warned that banks will never ask you for your PIN or online information over the phone.
•Know that your bank will never ask you to withdraw money to hand over or transfer to another account.
•Your bank will never send anyone to your home to collect cash, a payment card or a cheque book.
•If you’re worried that the call may be real, hang up and call your bank through a different phone line.
•If you think the call is a scam, take note of the caller’s phone number and report it to Callercenter.com. Spread the word and warn others.
NooNoosdad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 47

Quite dissapointed with BT's response to this. On the day I received this call, I notified BT via Live Chat and a couple of hours later received a follow up phone call from them to advise me that they would be investigating the matter further and arranged to ring me back a few days ago. I waited in during the time slot given but they never called back. Clearly they just couldn't be bothered !

kommando
Contributor
Message 5 of 47

Got a call from them today, unanswered but why have BT not closed this number down.

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 47

most likely a spoofed number or a VOIP call from outside the UK which BT like any other provider can do nothing about
dawning
Beginner
Message 7 of 47

This number have been used to call multiple random people. I read some reports filed at http://www.whycall.me/08001691608.html just yesterday. We need to know that we should not give out any information over the phone to someone we don't know. I prefer to ignore the call if I don't recognize the number.
andyb40
Message 8 of 47

I have had 2 similar calls in the past two days. one left an answer phone message "if you are acting for the account holder press 1 now......" very dodgy, it sounds like someone was trying to hack into my phone account, then i did a 1417 check and i had a missed call today as well and the number was 08001691608, i can obly guess that the strange answerphone message was from the same number as well

Why dont B.T. put out warnings on their website or in the media warning people about these calls 

SteveRiley
Beginner
Message 10 of 47

I had one this morning, answer machine had kicked in and only got the end of the automated message, another number on my directory as blocked with a silent ring tone, I have so many blocked numbers, this is getting ridiculous, my real block list is full. Getting fed up with this as BT are already causing problems themselves and I have had to block one of their real numbers as it was harassment.