Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starlucent
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Website not available to me via BT broadband - only via another provider

Hi

I have a very similar problem to that discussed in this thread: BT-Customers-cannot-access-my-website

In this case I am the one that can't access a site (http://www.martonparishcouncil.org.uk) using my BT broadband - but I can access it via my (non-BT) mobile if I disable wifi and just use my data; I can't get to it via wifi on my phone.

I need to be able to update the site, and so this is a significant inconvenience. This is the only site I can't reach, as far as I know - and I spend all day on the internet researching for work, so I do visit a lot of different sites!

When using BT broadband I get a message saying 'Can't connect to the server' but downforeveryoneorjustme.com indicates that the site is up, and indeed my neighbours can get to the site OK.

I have tried different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) and different devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, mobile phones). I have tried clearing cookies and cache on all those different devices and browsers. I have tried turning off my firewall.

I do not have parental controls enabled (I've checked, and then enabled/disabled to double-check); and it is a parish council repository for documents and minutes so really can't be classified as a dangerous site in any way.

I have rebooted the router multiple times - leaving it off for over 30 minutes as suggested elsewhere on this forum. I have explored the router settings and experimented with the Google DNS settings based on other threads in the forum ... but nothing makes any difference.

There are other websites on the same server that I can get to - and I used to be able to update this site too, but not any more!

I have queried it with the hosting company who tell me that the site is up and everything is working as you'd expect.

I have run tracert, and get this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.950]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

xxx>tracert martonparishcouncil.org.uk

Tracing route to martonparishcouncil.org.uk [212.53.87.32]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms bthub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 31.55.186.184
5 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms host213-121-192-120.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.192.120]
6 12 ms 13 ms 15 ms 62.6.201.145
7 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 166-49-209-194.eu.bt.net [166.49.209.194]
8 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 10ge.xe-0-0-0.linxb.ldn-teleh-dis-1.peer1.net [195.66.224.156]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 15 ms 15 ms 16 ms nativespace-pandora.ns-pandora.com [212.53.87.32]

Trace complete.

Can anyone help, or tell me how to contact BT's tech team to ask for help? I can't think of anything else to try...

9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Website not available to me via BT broadband - only via another provider

just tried connecting to site using your link and connected right away 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

It loads okay for me, however on the websites where there's been a problem recently connection has sometimes been intermittent. I've had it where I could access the site but not an hour later for example. Then it's not accessible until a fix has been done.

'Can't connect to the server' suggests that may be a different problem, similar cases just came back with 'cannot find ...' or something like that if I remember correctly.

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Hi.

My fibre broadband can't connect - Server Not Found (or This site can't be reached)

Changing to google DNS, and it works.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Just tried again in case first time was fluke but I connected again without a problem with bt settings

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

I can't access it now, I could earlier. This is the fourth website in as many months I think and it seems to becoming more frequent.

starlucent
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for checking, everyone!

Seems like it's an intermittent problem then? I'll try the google DNS settings again (I know the instructions for that are in this forum somewhere).

Puzzling... I was hoping someone would have a magic fix for me!

Message 8 of 10

Hi @starlucent,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for posting.

Sorry that you are having problems accessing your website when using a BT connection. When I try and access the site I get a security warning that the site is either "Unrated" or using a "Dynamic DNS Host" saying that our web security on site is really tight. 

I will raise this as a case and one of the Mods will post back on the thread as soon as we know more.

Cheers

Matt

Community ModeratorMatt
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Message 9 of 10

Hi @starlucent,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Our teams have completed various tests and we are able to confirm that this issue is not with the BT DNS. They have advised that the issue may be with the configuration of this domain for this website.

It would be best to speak to your web developer if you have one moving forward.

Matt

Community ModeratorMatt
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
starlucent
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hi Matt

I have already checked but can go back and ask again. It's just very strange that it used to work fine but now doesn't, when nothing has changed...

Thanks for looking into it for me!

Lucy