Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 33

Re: 0800 9234349 Cold Calls!

Go to solution

Well, I've tried every other way to put this people off ringing me, being polite, being rude, hanging-up, etc., so I'll give your suggestion a shot today when they ring. Yesterday I told them that I knew it was a scam because they were all over the BBC, The Guardian, The Daily Mail and Channel 4 News. He laughed and said I should ring them up so that I'll be famous also. Twit.

Keith, how did these people get ahold of my name, home address and x-directory landline number? Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 33

Go to solution

Probably some corrupt overseas call centre operator in a call centre, operated by banks, insurance companies etc.

They can see all of your details on the screen, a quick click with their phone camera and its all captured.

Not a lot you can do about it. I do not answer International or number un-available calls.

Withheld calls are blocked by anonymous call rejection service.

0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 33

Go to solution

Keith, thanks for your insight on this. Half of my family is scattered around the globe, so I can't afford to ignore international calls. I am interested in knowing about this anonymous call rejection service. How and where is this available?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 33

Go to solution
If you are with BT, then you can have it added as a premium facility. It costs about £4 a month, but does eliminate most cold callers.

I also have "choose to refuse" which I can use to block those callers that never seem to give up....
0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution

Thank you, Keith. I'm going to check into this as I am with BT for all services.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution

I sometimes wish these scammers would target me.

I would say "Hang on, I've just got to boot my computer" ( Boot from a LIVE CD ) and then lead them on a merry go round before finally telling them their IT skills equate to a phail of EPIC proportions as I'm running Linux.

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution

Careful what you wish for, Aussie. These numpties have called me twice already this morning but as I didn't accept the call it went to my answering machine. Same as always, if I don't answer there's just dead noise on the other end. If I answer the call, there's a slight delay and then the person on the other end (very crackly line) says the same thing every time. " Hello, (saying my full name), this is a very important call about your computer... viruses, yadda, yadda." Yesterday, the caller said his name was Leonard Jackson and that his phone number was 129 387 3513. I doubt that any of that is true. He was very jolly and laughed a lot, like it was a great game he was playing. It's no game for me. I have to say that their persistence has un-nerved me a lot. I just dread when the phone rings nowadays.

0 Ratings
ronin22
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution

""I just dread when the phone rings nowadays."""

just insist in ordering a take away curry and rice with poppadoms, and string them along. :smileyvery-happy: and they will log you as a time waster.

In the end we will all be star dust.
Then start all over again.
0 Ratings
CW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution

Just as I thought this had been sorted out, the calls start again!!!!

They started about a week ago and I'm now getting 4 or 5 calls a day from that number!

Registering with TPS and having all marketing consent removed (thanks mods!) doesn't seem to have had the permanent result I'd hoped for.

They are wasting their time, I wont answer!

Mods.....

Is there anything else that can be done?

0 Ratings
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 20 of 33

Go to solution

guys dont get bt 2 give u a new number as they dont no how 2port old 1s and it makes ur download speed slower so ask them 2 moniter ur calls them selfs and the can see the company and if they dont address it with offcom and prefreence serivce as bt have there own aswell as the real company

0 Ratings