cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Srr999
Message 61 of 81

Re: £1.50 charge for not making calls.

I have received £3.70 of charges for not making any calls. BT has completely lost it's way and the people in charge should be ashamed of the ridiculous revenue generating schemes their people have employed. I could let it slide if the service was ok but since moving house three months ago I have had nothing but problems with bt. First they couldn't even book a time to fix a technical issue. I eventually spoke with someone in India, which in itself is not a problem, the fact I couldn't converse with the person on the end of the phone was an issue though, I finally spoke with someone, they arranged a time, i took half a day holiday for the engineer not to show. I then had to take another half day holiday once it was rescheduled. Now I have received charges for not paying my bill and reconnections. If bt had just allowed me to continue the service I had at the old place instead of getting an extra 50p a month (I know it all adds up which is why they do it) and just copying the direct debit it would be fine. Now I've tried to setup a direct debit but the bill is going to be £42.50 / month and all I have is line rental. On top of that there trying to speak with anyone to discuss this is all but impossible. Whilst I'm blathering on; Avatar colour scheme? What are these people doing all day. Get a grip, people want simple, reliable hassle free services. Who cares about a pattern when they want information about a telephone provider. How do these companies exist? Why are you employing creative people to do this stuff. Just sort out the problems take out the cost (pointless scheme after pointless scheme - this website? Someone obviously felt they had to justify their salary so put as much down as they could think of). Keep it simple! Keep it quality! No one reading this ( no one because they'll be deciding how to make the service even more efficient i.e. less cost don't worry about quality) will believe that I am actually a very normal down to earth and relatively chilled out person. But honesty bt you've driven me mad. But perhaps that's your mission statement. By the way, this is the first time I have ever complained to a utility provider. I'm glad I choose a forum because even if no one reads this it made me feel better. I will wait for my contract to terminate and then never use bt ever again. I've been an Orange mobile broadband customer for ten years. Now that's a company that know their customers. Although like most mobile providers they're not exactly cheap, but one simple phone call and the problem is always resolved.
Guru
Message 62 of 81

@jayceedove wrote:

We have made dozens of calls using our broadband phone over the past three months - including chargeable ones. We have not made any via our landline phone as the one BT supplied has broken and another we bought will not plug into the router they supplied when we got BT broadband years ago.

You don't plug a landline 'phone into the router, you plug it into the 'phone socket on a broadband filter.

0 Ratings
miket101
Aspiring Expert
Message 63 of 81

Hi to anyone that has been charged this one off fee and not been told about it from bt sales when you took the plan up ask for a refund and BT will comply but only once then its upto you to make the minimum calls a month.

Proof:-

Pooja Aithal: Hello. I'm Pooja Aithal. Thanks for that information, I'll check it and get back to you in a moment.
Pooja Aithal: Hi Mike
Mike thomas: Hi
Pooja Aithal: Good Morning,. Please give me a minute while I check the details for you.
Mike thomas: Thanks
Pooja Aithal: Yes, that is correct. It is the call commitment fee associated with the Caller ID as you have not made sufficient calls from your BT landline to meet the call commitment
Mike thomas: call commitment ??? Can i ask why none of this was mentioned to me when i took the plan out ? or is it hidden in the small print ?
Pooja Aithal: Caller ID is provided free of charge to all the BT customers who make a minimum of 2 calls per month via BT landline. Else, there will be a charge of £2.70 per month / £8.10 per quarter towards caller ID
Mike thomas: Hi sorry don't mean to be rude but you didn't answer my question when I took the package up not one bt sales person mentioned these charges to me. So is it hidden in the small print of my contract ?
Pooja Aithal: I do apologise on behalf of my colleagues. Would you prefer Caller ID on your account Mike?
Pooja Aithal: The terms and conditions associated with the Caller ID and 1571 has been mentioned on BT.com
Pooja Aithal: You can simply avoid the one off charges by making a minimum of 2 calls per month via BT landline
Mike thomas: Well not really but I don't find it fair that I have been charged a hidden fee that BT customer sales should legally of advised me about instead of hiding it in the small print of my contract ? Sorry i don't mean to be rude in anyway.
Pooja Aithal: I do understand your concern,. I can get the charges removed for you now on this occasion as a one of goodwill
Pooja Aithal: However, in case you prefer caller ID to be active on your account (without getting charged towards the service). you need to make atleast 2 calls per month from your BT landline
Mike thomas: Yes please i would like this charge removed. I feel its fair now and i have been advised to make a minimum of 2 calls a month. Why i wasn't told this before is beyond me thank you.
Pooja Aithal: I can only apologise as you have not been informed of the charges/ terms and conditions associated with the Caller ID at the time of point of sale as you may appreciate, I will not be able to comment about my colleagues. I have now arranged removal of the charges £ 8.10 on your account towards your latest BT bill. Ref no:

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 64 of 81

It is not a one off fee, its a never ending rip off that most customers are not aware of. And going by some of the posts on here, one which will cost BT many customers in the long run.
Highlighted
SA_2012
Aspiring Contributor
Message 65 of 81

Same here... I even don't have a telephone set at my home coz I never ever use a landline... now I have to buy a telephone set which would cost me about £25 ...  i only come acros this £1.50 charge when i was searching some post regarding my broadband connection dropping after every ten min and even though they claim its a supper fast fiber optic, it keeps buffering when i play iplayer or tv catch or youtube etc.. so disappointed...

the one i had was for only £3.25 pence a month and to be honest i have not seen much difference... the tv advert is misleading.

I hope they would remove this connection action from monthly to yearly basis or may be after every 6 months or so... its a nominal charge but its wrong.

(an angry customer so far)

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 66 of 81

@SA_2012 wrote:

Same here... I even don't have a telephone set at my home coz I never ever use a landline... now I have to buy a telephone set which would cost me about £25 ...  i only come acros this £1.50 charge when i was searching some post regarding my broadband connection dropping after every ten min and even though they claim its a supper fast fiber optic, it keeps buffering when i play iplayer or tv catch or youtube etc.. so disappointed...

the one i had was for only £3.25 pence a month and to be honest i have not seen much difference... the tv advert is misleading.

I hope they would remove this connection action from monthly to yearly basis or may be after every 6 months or so... its a nominal charge but its wrong.

(an angry customer so far)

I am a bit doubtful about this new super fast fiber optic, IMO it can't be much faster than your average Broadband service. The same wired telephone line is used to deliver the service, the only part that is fiber optic, is the socket on your wall. If BT changed all the old wiring to fiber optic cable, then you might see an improvement. Then again what with bandwith throttling, will it ever make that much difference to the service we get.

MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 67 of 81

@SA_2012 wrote:

... now I have to buy a telephone set which would cost me about £25 ...

I have seen £25 stated a few times in these forums. A basic corded phone from Argos is less than £5.

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=5526527

@WatchdogTS wrote:
I am a bit doubtful about this new super fast fiber optic, IMO it can't be much faster than your average Broadband service. The same wired telephone line is used to deliver the service, the only part that is fiber optic, is the socket on your wall. If BT changed all the old wiring to fiber optic cable, then you might see an improvement. Then again what with bandwith throttling, will it ever make that much difference to the service we get.

Only the last part of the wired telephone line (from the cabinet to your house) is the same (FTTC - fibre to the cabinet). All the rest (to the exchange and beyond) should be fibre optic. The socket on the wall is not fibre optic (as mentioned that's still your copper wire from the cabinet).

You need a relatively modern computer (last couple of years or so) to take full advantage of the much faster speeds (30+Mbps). To be honest, if you are just casually surfing the internet then you are probably not going to notice much of a difference between 2Mbps and 20Mbps. However, web pages are getting increasingly bloated and providing more and more media rich content. You are also dependent on the speed with which websites are able to deliver the content.

Yes, fibre (FTTC) is considerably faster than your standard broadband (assuming it's working OK). I used to get 3+Mbps on standard broadband, now I get 20+Mbps with fibre.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 68 of 81

Thanks MrP for putting that right and for the English spelling of fibre.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 69 of 81

It should be called fibber optic IMO. 😉
robins777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 70 of 81

Mrp,  My mistake I meant phone number no numbers.

I have also just been charged £1.50 for not making any calls even though I have made several chargable and 20 or so free calls. I think the reason for this is that non of the call I make are showing up in my recent usage. I have done a live chat and this didn't sort out the problem also contacted the BT Care team who reregistered my account but that didn't do any good either. Calls are still not showing up on my recent usage section so if I  can't get it sorted I expect could get another £1.50 charge on my next bill.