cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

£129.99 service charge

BT makes a charge of £129.99 if a technician discovers that a fault is caused by the customer.

I oppose this charge.

A fault with our telephone has been proven to be because of a fault by BT.But Bt insist that they must threaten to make this charge.

It is unfair.

This charge should be removed from BT terms and conditions.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: £129.99 service charge

before you got an engineer callout you would have been advised of the potential charge shoule no fault be found or the fault was to do with your internal wiring or damage.

was the fault found to be in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 14

Not sure I understand. BT are advising you of a potential charge. The charge will only be levied if the fault is with your equipment. They will not charge if the fault is with BT's equipment.

Why is that unfair?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

And if they don't warn you, you would then complain that you were not told about it.

The charge is also not made by BT, it is made by Openreach and then passed on to the customer of the Communication provider. ie: BT retail, Sky, TalkTalk etc .

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Hi and thanks.

BT did advise of the potential charge when we started having problems, but this was the first that we heard of it. I still cannot find the specific term or condition on their website.

This is a large charge (about a year or so of line rental) so it needs to be clear that it is justified.For example, if an an engineer visits and find a chargeablt problem within my home in 2 minutes, does htis reflect the time he has spent working on this problem?

It is like getting an estimate for any work from any contractor: it is normal to get an estimate for something and then the consumer is in a position to decude to go ahead or not. But it is not fair to make the charge upfront, especially if the people that this deters are elderly or sick and when the telephone is a lifeline for them.

This is a more difficult in my case because a technician did call and found the problem to be with BT. They need to return because the problem has not been fixed. BT insists that we may be liable for the charge, even though they know the fault was theirs.

I think the charge is not something that is actually agreed between BT and customers and it is therefore unfair.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Hi

Well, I completed the diagnostics over the telephone several times with BT. They all confirmed that the problem was with BT.

In that case, why should the customer accept liability?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Many thanks as I didn't know that the charge was passed on from Openreach to BT.

But if it is a charge from another provider and BT is just passing this on to the consumer, what about the responsibility of BT to provide the entire telephone/broadband service and fix it if it goes wrong?

The customer does not have a contract with Openreach - it is like saying the cumtomer should pay the train operator for the ticket and also the rail operator for the rails that the trains uses or any other suppliers down the line.

Thanks for your help though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Here is the full guide as to whether you will be charged.

Engineer visits – information and charges

If its within the boundary of your property, including any cabling down the wall, then you may be charged.

Message 9 of 14

Hi and thanks for this.

I've been asking for this information for weeks or possibly months now and it is good to finally have an explanation.

Could you please also say where the wording of this term or condition appears in my contract and where customers are told this - if at all - before they make their contract with BT?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

I am only a BT customer, so I do not know the answer to that, but its the same for all service providers that rent lines from Openreach.

Who are Openreach?

0 Ratings