Beginner
greyhed
Accepted Solution

£130 call out charge for engineer

Problem with phone so carry out basic checks as per instructions. Engineer asked to call, he immediately identifies fault and it is clearly my responsibility. Exterior connection to bedroom deteriorated. He drinks coffee, says he will not charge the call out fee as he has not done anything. At next Bill I find my DD has been changed, £130 charged, no option to pay over a period. Unsatisfactory conversation with Customer service, now waiting for investigation and waiting and waiting and waiting.

BT customer for 47 years, never in debt, word not believed, BT gives no choice about call outs , has  a monopoly and does not care about the customer.

Very disgruntled and dissatisfied customer

Expert
ernie_c

Re: £130 call out charge for engineer

Unfortunately, despite what the engineer said and I think you'll agree, the charge is justifiable. It was your fault, not BT's.

The engineer would have to report the call as user problem and the charge would be generated. He could hardly lie and say it was a BT fault.

In terms of no choice on callouts - I presume you have the choice to say that you don't want someone to come out but, of course, you would still have the problem.

I suspect that you could have used someone else for the call, other than BT, but presumeably that would have come with a charge as well.

Beginner
greyhed

After several unhelpful calls to sort this matter out I emailed the chief executive, who replied within 20 minutes, on a Sunday afternoon. The matter was then followed up by one person, who was very customer orientated, with confirmation by landline message, mobile message and email on the case, with progress reports and after two weeks of investigation, an explanation of BT's position, but as I was a customer of many years a complete refund. After too many conversations with folk who had a script to follow and were not customer friendly, I get to speak with Lee Jones who sorted the matter out. Thanks BT!

nickpilbeam

what is the CE email address?

Captiveuser

How did you get the CE email?
Guru
toekneem

Captiveuser wrote:
How did you get the CE email?

google search is ideal for this. I suggest you do a search for chief executive email addresses

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Aspiring Contributor
thames

captiveuser.  You know his name it's on your other post).  Use all lower case; dot between the words; followed by @bt.com

Beginner
timebandit

I'm  very un-happy with bt let me tell you our story!. In march this year our Internet connection failed we could not access the Internet at all . I noticed that the router wasn't working some of its lights were off! but my phone that was pluged into the router on the desk was working fine .so i went into desktop help did the diagnosis which told me that there was a problem with my router so i phoned bt and spoke to an operator they told me that there 

was a problem at the exchange and there were engineers  working on it and the fault would be found by the middle of the week and i would be back on the internet .a week went by and nothing so i phoned back bt and they said they were still working on the fault so i had been without internet for nearly 2 weeks still nothing so again i phoned and they told me the fault at the exchange had been repaired and they could see that i still had my fault at my address and would send an engineer out to see what was wrong! the engineer turned up i exsplained that i could make calls on the phone and that i think that the router has died! the bt egineer took the plug out of the wall then pluged in his router that he had on him then connected his laptop up and accessed the internet without any problems he said i had an exellent strong internet connection! so no problems with  the internet then he checked my router which was supplied by bt in april 2007 it was a bt voyager 220v which he said was dead and wasnt working and he told me to contact bt for a new one! which i did and got the next day which i set up and we were back on the internet. I was told by the engineer that there had been no probblems with the telephone wiring in the house and that the router was the problem it had died wasnt working! the router was supplied in the bt with their broadband package that we had signed up for .so this week my family got our bt bill with a one off call out charge of £130:00 pounds so i phoned bt and spoke to a call centre in india was put on hold for 20 minutes then cut off then i tried again got thru to a advisor who put me on hold again then 15 minutes later came back and told me he had check and his records showed that i had a wiring problem in my house i told him that was wrong!! it had been the router supplied by bt nothing to do with any of my equipment the wiring was fine my computer was fine it was the router!then he cut me off! we now have an extra £130.00 pounds coming out of our account on the 25th of june which we can ill afford we have a contract with bt up untill march 2012 after that we will leave bt after being a customer for over 25 plus year! can some one help we are pulling our hair out! because this is so unfair!

CraigS

Hi timebandit,

The £130 charge is only applied when an engineer checks for a telephone line fault and finds the issue elsewhere, other than the BT network.  For a broadband fault you should have been referred to the broadband technical helpdesk and an appointment set up from there, which would not have been charged.

Could you drop me in an email please with your BT account and telephone number along with a link back to this thread.

Just send using the contact us form in my profile under the 'about me' section.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
timebandit

thank you Craig! for your reply i have sent you a message! hope you can help!