cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

18 month contract or an 18 month contract?

Got an email from BT saying prices are rising in Jan 2018.

Act NOW to keep broadband prices the same.

When I did act it gave me option of paying £47.49 for 18 months, or £49.99 for 18 months.

For the SAME package i.e. unlimited infinity 1.

Tried chat, but they said they could not help, had to ring.

Rang them and they told me today that the cheaper one woulkd not protect me from any price rise, whereas paying the extra would mean no prices rises.

Initially I thought it was a £45 gamble if prices rise, then I thought, hold on it says 'contract'!

Anyone have thoughts on this?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: 18 month contract or an 18 month contract?

there a quite a few posts about this and clarificationby a mod  try using the search facility

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
egr55
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Received same email as you but I can't understand how the price can change before the term of the contract (12 months), in my case 31 July 2018.

I can get broadband and calls at their offer of the same price as my old contract, if I renew now for 18 months but will the price increase apply to me if I am in a new contract, surely it's fixed at the agreed price (today's) for the next 18th months.

What do BT mean by 'in contract', it seems they can tie me down for a fixed period but the cost can change. Can someone clarify please.

Hello,

We're writing to tell you that the price you pay for your BT services, including BT Sport, will be changing from 7 January 2018. We've put the changes in a simple table below for you.

We've been making improvements to your BT services to offer you more than ever before, and you can see more about these below. We're not stopping there, we've got some exciting new developments in the pipeline for 2018.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

My contract is for 12 months which I took out about six months ago.

When I received confirmation email of my order it did say:

Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us. We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen.

So BT have only done what they said in their confirmation email.

I'm not saying I agree with a price rise during a contact, just stating a fact that it could change under the terms of the contract..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

egr55 wrote: What do BT mean by 'in contract', it seems they can tie me down for a fixed period but the cost can change. Can someone clarify please.

I keep banging on about this and here we go again. The simple fact is that a contract exists for as long as you take a service from BT or any other provider, which might be for years or even decades. It's a common (if not universal) practice for providers to offer lower prices in exchange for a commitment from the customer to retain the service for a specified minimum term, with a penalty to pay if the customer ends the service during that minimum term. The provider is permitted to increase prices at any time, but if it does so during a minimum term the customer can end the contract without paying the penalty.

So the answer is that 'in contract' in this context is a sloppy way of saying 'during the minimum term'. This is clear in the T&C (see the link in Message 4 above) and I reckon that such clarity would prevail if the correct terminology became the norm. BT don't help when official advice refers to being 'in contract' despite the obvious inaccuracy.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
nemu
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

in my case its not just signing up to an 18 month contract but also agreeing to a price rise at the end of the 18 months

my two options are :-

£52 .39   a month
18 months contract
Then £63.99 a month
Includes line rental

or

£49 .89 a month
18 months contract
Then £63.99 a month
Includes line rental

I assume if I do nothing my monthly charges will rise to £52.39 but I wont be in any contract or be faced with the hugh rise to £63.99 a month in 18 months time 

something not right ! looks rather dishonest of BT  if it is  !
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

you are always in contract with BT whether it is a fixed term 12/18 months or a rolling monthly contract after your fixed term is completed  you are not agreeing to the price going up to £63.99pm after 18 month term is completed more you are being advised that after the 18 month deal your price will revert to standard cost - unless you re-negotiate a new deal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

nemu wrote:
something not right ! looks rather dishonest of BT  if it is  !

It's not dishonest but it is shady, an intrinsic element of the battle for custom. Providers have to do something distinguish themselves from the rest when they're mostly sending the same stuff down the same wires. This is the reality of the benefits from competition we were promised during the late 20th-century orgy of privatisation and deregulation.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings