cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guderian44
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

2 BT Contracts - moving in together

I currently have SuperFast Fibre 2 Unlimited. 6 months left on contact.

My girlfriend is also in contact for a similar length of time.

We are moving in together - so I guess one of us needs to close their account. So i call BT, who tell me I would have to pay £145 early termination fee - even though in a sense I will continue to be a BT customer.

I called Sky for TV, they said they waive such charges in this situation. Not so BT.

Which of course enrages me to the point of thinking that in the long run, I'd rather be a Sky BB customer!

Anyone been in this position before?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: 2 BT Contracts - moving in together

Being in a minimum period of a contract means that you get reduced prices in exchange for a commitment to the minimum period. BT's terms and conditions allow termination without penalty in some circumstances but they don't include customers exercising a free choice. I think you'll find that similar applies to other providers, including Sky, though all are capable of being economical with accuracy when it comes to luring new customers.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Guderian44
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Nope - that's just it.

Sky have agreed to merge 2 contracts into 1 for my TV. Exactly the same situation.

Sky have shown flexibility, BT have not. 

One of them will have my loyalty going forward, one will be ditched.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Were you paying Sky at a heavily discounted rate in return for a long contract period or standard rate?

0 Ratings
Guderian44
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Yes - they (Sky) simply accept that I will remain a customer, having been for since 2002 (similar to BT).

It's not as if I am ditching them for a competitor.

They've taken a short term view. That's up to them but they'll lose a lot more than the £140 odd that they'll recoup here.

0 Ratings