cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

2 Months and still no internet, is it normal for BT to be this bad?

Hello everyone,

I was with BT for two years and I didn't have any issues. So when I phoned up to renew I was moving at the same time, I thought I would take out a new contract for 70mb download speed, great.

I gave them the new address and said it would be great to get it sorted so I can move in all my furniture and have the engineer already get everything up and running by the time I move in.

I get a text that the engineer doesn't need to attend and my service is up and running, great. However I have no service. I call BT and they send me a new router, but nothing is turning up to my flat. I call Royal Mail and they are the ones who informed me that BT set up the contract in the *wrong flat*. 

Backwards and forwards with the complaints department, they promised an engineer who never showed up, then I had to wait a month for the engineer to arrive as that's the soonest they can do. However, that for a copper contract - to get the service I want I need to wait until the 5th January to be upgraded from their side.

I was told the EE router wouldn't work because there's no signal in my area (even though I live in city).

Anyway, as I have a DL speed of 0.5mbs I can't use the internet for work, and for the past 6 weeks I have had to commute to the office 1 hour each way, in the freezing cold, coronvirus ridden underground and will continue to do so until this is sorted.

So far, I'm around £200 out of pocket from travel expenses - I've heard BT can be trash at times, but this is outrageously bad. Can anyone offer any input?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: 2 Months and still no internet, is it normal for BT to be this bad?

@Requirementwrote:

I call Royal Mail and they are the ones who informed me that BT set up the contract in the *wrong flat*. 

You would of had an email confirming, it will of been sent on the day your home move order was raised, typically titled 'You're on the move' - What address does it show ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Yes, the address is close to correct, but the flat number isn't included, I assumed their end has extra information. It doesn't matter now, my overall point is that I feel 2 months is a ridiculous amount of time to get online with a contract, that I'm already paying for. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Yes, the address is close to correct, but the flat number isn't included, I assumed their end has extra information. It doesn't matter now, my overall point is that I feel 2 months is a ridiculous amount of time to get online with a contract, that I'm already paying for. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Close to correct is not good enough it has to be correct  you need to get the corrected so that it matches your address on royal mail database and also open reach database. Phone  CS 150 or 0800800150 from mobile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @Requirement your move to new flat, either having retained your phone number or adopted the new flat's phone number, is independent of your new address. From your OP information, it seems that BT have messed-up and is more dysfunctional than normal. You should raise a formal complaint from within your MyBT account to request BT Billing give you credit for when BT ISP has not been fully provided, not sure if BT provides compensation. More and more people are Working-From-Home, but BT is slow to respond to this essential business requirement, so BT should acknowledge its dysfunctional fault to provide business ISP continuity and give compensation.  Although EE mobile phone connection does not exist for your new flat, Please remember to look for local BT hotspot and sign-in, to use your ISP account. 

0 Ratings