cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

24-Month Contract for 6-Months - Early Termination Nightmare?

Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a predicament.

I'm just about to move into a house, but I'm only going to be there for around 6-months, as I am looking to move out of the country. 

BT have a monopoly over the broadband in my road and are currently only offering 24-month contracts - or so I have been told.

If I purchase one of these deals, I am going to have to pay approximately 18 months worth of contract (minus a bit for costs saved) for my early termination fee, which is ridiculous.

I have read articles about BT re-introducing 12-month contracts which would be reasonable, but after speaking to an advisor over the phone, apparently this is not the case?

I can't see a reasonable option other than to live like a caveperson for 6 months? Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: 24-Month Contract for 6-Months - Early Termination Nightmare?

@scottbb21 wrote:

BT have a monopoly over the broadband in my road and are currently only offering 24-month contracts - or so I have been told.

No they don't, BT don't have a monopoly anywhere.

Are you confusing Openreach with BT?

Message 3 of 6

Alternatives could be if you have a mobile phone to tether that to your other devices and use its mobile data.

Get a mobile broadband package which will give you a mobile 3/4g router which you can connect to and which you can take with you when you move.

Look for an ISP if you can find one, that will offer you a 12 month contract and suck it up that you will be paying for 6 months of non use when you move.

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Perhaps I am, I have spoken to a couple of alternative providers (Plusnet and a couple of others) they all directed me back to BT being the only provider in my area.

Looking into it, I guess I also have access to other providers on the Openreach network (TalkTalk and Sky?)

First time buyer here so thanks for clarifying, I thought I was out of options..

Scott

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@scottbb21 Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're concerned about the length of the contract when you move into your new home. BT do provide 12-month broadband deals and I apologise that you were not advised of this when you called in.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Perhaps try EE as they calculate early termination fees by deducting wholesale fees saved plus 4% off the remaining balance.

See HERE

0 Ratings