cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

3 MONTHS DELAY FOR CONNECTING TO A NEW BUILD PROPERTY?! STILL WAITING...

Hi all,

This is my first post here, not intended to be a rant, but would like to share my anger and frustration I had with BT Openreach. This is a very long story.

To begin, I am not an average user, I understand about BT Wholesale, ISP, service provider, Line provisioning team, Line Plant Team etc... Yet, everytime I called BT customer, I was treated as if I was an idiot but in fact, the "advisors" were actually those did not know whats going on!

Anyway, I think it was rather unfortunate that no matter which ISP we go for, the actual connection must be done by Openreach. This means, if Openreach decides not to work for you, then you'll be stuck... forever. well, satellite broadband or 3G,4G are still viable if you have the wallet.

So my situation began 3 months ago when I moved into my new built apartment in London. I quickly signed up to BT internet and phone because this was just a daily necessity. Typically, there is a 14days lead time for the engineers to attend your case, which is reasonable... and so I waited for it. The "big" day came which I took holiday from work to wait, and after numerous emails and txt to tell me to wait at home for the engineer, and guess what happened? No show from BT.

I phoned the customer care in India the next day, waited for 30mins on my mobile (had not discover WeQ4U yet that time), someone picked up and said that the engineer would come again the following monday, although no explanation was given why no show the first time. So, I waited and wasted another day of my 25days annual leave, NO SHOW AGAIN!

This time, I was given an explanation that there was a problem at the switch, so additional works was required. Which also meant that an even longer delay would result. I wasn't happy with BT and their so-called customer care’s attitude and so decided to cancel my order and go with a service provider that I used for the last 7 years.

So... I went to signup phone and internet package with them, as this company was truly UK BASED, I received update almost instantly. So on the day I paid for the connection, it immediately showed up as delay status from Openreach. I phone them up to find out, and they were told by Openreach that there was a substantial problem occurred at the exchange, - this seemed to match with what BT told me, so fair enough, I waited for a week as Openreach said they would update my ISP in a week time. 

A week had gone, as expected, no update whatsoever. I contacted my service provider to find out, then they were told by Openreach that they were working on it and advised a "significant update" would be issued 3 WEEKS LATER! (This was probably the 5th week since I signed up to BT broadband). Openreach also advised my provider not to contact them during this time because there would not be any updates.

Ok, so I waited for three more weeks (8th week). I called my service provider to check the progress, which they raised the question to BT Wholesale team and then the team spoke to BT Openreach, the answer I got was they had not completed the works… that was it! They advised me to wait for another THREE weeks for an UPDATE. WTF, bear in mind the property was not in the middle of nowhere, it was in LONDON! waiting for 6 weeks just to receive an update? and yet they did not mention about when the works would be completed, or whether it had even started?

After a good conversation with my service provider, they had escalated the case for me. After a week of escalation, no reply from Openreach so my provider escalated again to get to their manager, now this time the manager came back and said the works were completed! So.. did that mean I could get my phone line to work? No. 

Today is probably the 10th week I waited, and so far, no official word from Openreach on when they will actually connect my phone. 

This is ridiculous because I am living in a new built apartment, my ISP also searched that there are 3 pairs of spare lines to the apartment block – which is referred as Gold status. At one point, Openreach said that there was a lack of supply to my development, hence causing the delay. And yet I am receiving more and more WIFI connections from my neighbours everyday, so how can this be true?

I contacted my property developer, they said they had provided all necessary infrastructure, not being able to connect phone would be BT’s problem.

I contacted Ofcom, and they said there was NO WAY to complaint about Openreach because none of us are actually in contract with them. The only way to complaint would be through my ISP. Well, in a way this was true, but shouldn’t there be warranty from Openreach to the end users? Any visiting Openreach website was more of a time waster because they do not contain any useful information about contacting them or making a complaint.

My ISP contacted BT wholesale and Openreach, the reply from them was almost a box standard reason for delay. I felt that this problem was out of their control because there wasn’t much they could do if BT Wholesale or openreach were not co-operating.

So… what should I do now? Wait? Change supplier? Or just give up and use satellite broadband? Given that no satellite dishes are allowed in apartment balconies. 3G? 4G?

Smiley Mad

adrian

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
SgtAMYNTAS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: 3 MONTHS DELAY FOR CONNECTING TO A NEW BUILD PROPERTY?! STILL WAITING...

Hello Adrian i have the exact problem when contacting BT they Think were all novices ha! I complained to them and Openreach about my Line i have had 3 Openreach engineer call out's and i can talk to them and they would ask you what exactly would you like to see happen today i said replace my line speed what was on average 16Mb DL & 1.2Mb UL. But what they would keep doing is resetting my line but i would request a latency setting Fast but Wholesale would ignore this 😠 really frustrating when you request things that are simply layed out! But now my line is constantly Synchronized to 13.99Mb & will not move up at all 😞 but one of the engineers said there was a fault between the Cab & Exchange "Water Board cut threw a Underlay Direct Feed line!!" but now they say they cannot continue my case untill they verify that they have completed the repairs but they repaired it!! Just to lazy to notify Wholesale!! But Rant over! My Bt Lan connection Adsl 2+ http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2881396672 But my 4GEE Pontypool http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2890143471 and 4GEE Before Cardiff got enabled double Speed http://www.speedtest.net/wp/2761429.png my 4GEE Is as Fast as BT FTTC Infinity 2! But i will do a new test for Cardiff since the double speed!

MSDN Developer, Nokia Developer, Xbox Ambassador XB-8, Network & Diagnostic Tester/ Coder IPX/ISO Moderator.
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

SgtAMYNTAS, looks like you got some really impressive speeds! How are you able to get over 12MB/s speed?! Do you live very close to an exchange?

Well, at least you are not left without a phone line... My request was simple, just connect my phone line, thats it! and yet Openreach failed again and again. I've been waiting for 10 weeks and so far, not even a single engineer had visited my place.

Also, I found their reason for delay was completely unacceptable! Lack of supply.. to a new apartment block, does that mean NO ONE ELSE CAN GET A PHONE TO WORK? BT tend to be very responsive to emergency situations, which deserves a praise, but if that was something so substantial, shouldn't they be attending the case first? 

I didn't particularly find the Ofcom website was any useful too, the way to complaint they suggested was an ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution), where it says "dispute resolution", I am not looking to resolve a dispute before I could even make a complaint. And after speaking to Ofcom, to make a complain about Openreach, I must go through my ISP. So, what consumer rights do I get if my ISP is not co-operating? Who should take the blame?

BTW, looks like if I can get a stable 3g connection, then share the internet to a router looks like ending up much quicker and CHEAPER than any line connections?! 

0 Ratings
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Can anyone give me help? How should I go about this? How can I complaint Openreach?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 12

Hi atsang,

Unfortunately you will need to contact and negotiate with your Communication Provider as BT Retail (an ISP who operates this forum) can't help you as you're not a BT Retail Customer.

Openreach (a BTplc Group Company) own, maintain and install the exchanges and telecommunication lines for the majority of ISPs and Communication Provider. However Openreach is a seperate line of business to the rest of the BTplc Group and have to treat all ISPs/CPs equally and BT Retail do not get any priority.

Openreach do not talk to end users like you and I, they will only talk to the ISPs/CPs.

I'm afraid you will need to take this up with your Communication Provider.

This is a BT Retail Customer to Customer help forum. The only BT presence are the moderators.

Hope that helps and you get it sorted soon,
Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

3 months ago, they checked that there were 3 spare pairs of lines available, and today, they said there was just 1 line. This meant that within these 3 months, the lines were being connected by other addresses. 

SO WHY THE HELL DID OPENREACH SAID TO ME THEY COULD NOT SUPPLY SERVICE TO MY LINE? I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 3 MONTHS!

No hope in complaining through my service provider / ISP, they were not co-operating at all.

0 Ratings
SgtAMYNTAS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Sorry i Took so Long to Reply My Lan Network "ADSL+2" is Down 😕 So im using 3G & i have ate threw 8 GB in 5Days.

But is your ISP BT or Someone Else? If your line was already Instaled by Openreach and you have not been able to Ring out you Must Contact Openreach or BT or Ofcom because its a Violation for them because its a Health & Safety ISSUE!! to Leave you without a Working Landline.

Complain complain complain! The Customer is Always Right simple! If you are in a 4G area and you only use some data then Contact EE "Everything Everywere" & Ask or a 4GEE Dongle or MiFi its nearly Twice as Fast as Bt infinity 2 In Double Speed Areas!

MSDN Developer, Nokia Developer, Xbox Ambassador XB-8, Network & Diagnostic Tester/ Coder IPX/ISO Moderator.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Openreach do not deal do not deal directly with the public only service providers.

unless the posters provider is BT only then will they deal with it .
it is not a health and safety issue that is total rubbish

I suggest you read this part of the posters original post

"I contacted Ofcom, and they said there was NO WAY to complaint about Openreach because none of us are actually in contract with them. The only way to complaint would be through my ISP"

0 Ratings
SgtAMYNTAS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

john46

Why Do you intensianly Troll all my posts? there is no need.

I have Many Frineds who WORK for Openreach! I do Forum & Moderation for Companys That moderate these website we are using! I Build the Code for many Websites that you use! If you have contacted Ofcom you would now what there Purpose is! the are there to Give Customers the RIGHT TO A FREE DISCLAMER AGAINST there ISP! Ofcom is the MAJOR Network Regulator!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

please just read what i highlighted from the poster original post he had contacted OFCOM Any problem the poster has to be addressed to the ISP /provider and as this web site is moderated by BT unless you are a BT employee who moderates this forum in which case you would be identified as such you have nothing to do with moderating this forum end of any comments to you
0 Ratings