cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BAD_LOT
Beginner
Message 11 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

After reading all the comments regarding BT's charges it is quite obvious - TO STEER CLEAR OF BT - I'm still waiting to hear about my escaleted complaint - one day perhaps, one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
SteveAustin
Contributor
Message 12 of 110

@leics_jr wrote:

*We were shocked that BT had the audacity to levy such charges - what exactly is it for? As we're moving away from the UK, most companies have been great - only charging for utilities we've used up to the date of moving, down to pro-rata rates for part months. The majority of companies have wished us luck and said that on return to UK they would be happy to be of service again - not BT. Speaks volumes about the company.

Thoroughly dissatisfied customer.

They say it is to remove the broadband equipment from your line. So effectively they are charging you for them to flick a switch. It applies to everyone cancelling BB (with BT) who do not migrate to another provider.

That's the bottom line....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 110

They say it is to remove the broadband equipment from your line. So effectively they are charging you for them to flick a switch. It applies to everyone cancelling BB (with BT) who do not migrate to another provider.

No it is physical removal of wiring within the exchange not just flicking a switch as you put it and the charge applies to all isp's when broadband is cancelled and no migration takes place the charge is raised bt BT wholesale not BT retail
0 Ratings
nephilim
Message 14 of 110

I attained a MAC Code and used it for a new supplier, and I am still being charged £30 for cessation of broadband, what gives?

I have no problems paying the rest of my final bill but this £30 is taking the biscuit as I followed BT terms properly and you still want to charge me for leaving.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 110

Hi when you obtained your MAC did you by any chance use the words I wantto cancel my broadband can I have a MACcode or similar
0 Ratings
meman887
Contributor
Message 16 of 110

Well John funny you should mention that and funny that I found this very topic, because when I phoned and asked for my MAC code I stated the following "I would like my MAC code in order to switch to another provider." Then the man went on to ask me "what is the reason I want to switch for?" my response was " Because BT doesn't provide a static IP because of the ever looming DEA, whereas my new ISP that I'm planning on switching to does." At no point did I say the word "cancel."

Now funny thing is one month on after being transferred to my new provider, got an email from one of the moderators stating the following: "Just a quick update. I checked your latest bill and can see you were charged £4.27 for your broadband from 10 Sep-14 Sep. You were also billed £30 for ceasing your broadband without using the MAC code. This charge is raised when we need to send an engineer out to disconnect your broadband at the exchange. I hope that’s ok for you."

Bit hard to be charged considering I followed the rules by providing the MAC to my new provider and they confirmed over the phone that the MAC was accepted, so ergo nulls and voids the charge.

Anyway awaiting for a response from my new current provider in regards to this. When they provide the proof that the MAC was indeed used and even after providing BT with it and if BT are persistent in saying that it wasn't, then I'll be more than happy to take it to court.

Anyway I won't bother going down the Ofcom complaint route considering how long Ofcom can take.

Quick update:

This is the responce I got from the provider I switched to which again confirms the MAC was used:

Thank you for your update.
We can confirm that the MAC key was used as if we didn't the service would not be transferred to us.
The order in the portal of BT Openreach is shown as Migration from SMPF-which means migrations from another broadband provider.
The started date is 01/08/2011 and the completion date is 09/08/2011.
Usually those processes takes 6-7 working days.
The MAC key listed in the system for the order is the same as it is the one in the account which you have provided us [edited out].

Considering all details BT should not charge you for disconnection of the broadband equipment as that was done on the same date when we have arrange BT Openreach engineer to visit the exchange and connect us on the line and the MAC key was used for that process."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Motto:
Going to kill my HomeHub 2 very soon. 🙂
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 17 of 110

Hi meman887

Certainly sounds like the charge was applied in error.  I am really sorry about this.

I'll be happy to have a look over your account and see what the story is.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
timdrewitt
Message 18 of 110

Same happened to me. Rang BT, obtained my MAC code, passed that to the new provider. Transfer proceeded smoothly, then was charged £30 by BT. Contact centre replied that I'd not used my MAC code, but clearly I had, as the transfer took place. Pointed this out to contact centre, who then replied with poorly worded message suggesting that I too would be refunded, though I'm not 100% sure due to the poor use of English, so will await my next bill with interest. Good job some of us check our bills from BT carefully and clearly BT need to check their procedures.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Ben12345
Message 19 of 110

So can you just clarify the following:

If I go to Sky and say I want to have Sky Broadband and they then process the transfer over to them directly with BT, do I get charged?

Cheers,

Ben.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 110

hi IF you do not request a MAC code from BT and give it to your new supplier you will be charged when you request your MAC do not mention the word cancel in your conversation just request a mac code
0 Ratings