cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wanasd12
Newbie
6,174 Views
Message 21 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

Thank you for sharing.
0 Ratings
Reply
wanasd12
Newbie
6,174 Views
Message 22 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

Thank you for sharing.

0 Ratings
Reply
uktab
Aspiring Contributor
6,166 Views
Message 23 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

According to BT's t&c I read you have to pay a fee for every month left in the contract :

 

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

 

Is this right or wrong - I'm confused.

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Guru
6,163 Views
Message 24 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

 


@uktab wrote:

According to BT's t&c I read you have to pay a fee for every month left in the contract :

 

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

 

Is this right or wrong - I'm confused.


If you are cancelling a contract, that is correct.

 

I believe the £30 charge that is in the subject line, is the charge Wholesale charge BT your ISP for Cancelling your broadband altogether at the exchange end.

 

If you were to transfer to another ISP using a MAC code you are not subject to the charge. So if you are moving

to another ISP do not mention Cancel

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Reply
ickymay
Aspiring Contributor
6,135 Views
Message 25 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

i have been with BT since they installed broadband in our local exchange which has to be pretty much ten years, and I have been forced to move to orange as BT's charges for my phone and BB where £52.00 p/month and with orange i now get the same plus anytime calls for £22.00 so it was a no brainer Smiley Very Happy

 

I gave my mac code to Orange and my BB then my phone line where quite smoothly transferred to them, however I was still being charged by BT for broadband acceleration after I had moved onto orange and had to spend another 40 mins on the phone to a really helpful guy who closed the billing and informed me I was owed money which I would receive within two weeks Smiley Surprised

 

next thing I know is that Im looking at my online bill and BT are claiming I owe them money as a cessation fee of £30.00 and a cancellation charge of £32.89 had been applied ??

 

So after another 40 minute phone call to New Delhi India i managed to get the charges removed, but i cant help feeling this could have been so much easier Man Wink

trust me Im a teenagers father !
5,925 Views
Message 26 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

I have just fallen foul of this charge. I am moving to virgin as my broadband is too unreliable which makes working from home too difficult.

 

It says in the letter, 'we hope you'll come back to us for your phone service in the future' - they'll be lucky!!

 

Cant wait for Virgin.

 

 

ttyrie
Recognised Expert
5,904 Views
Message 27 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

I hope you dont like using your phone then... 😉

 

Virgin offer a stupidly expensive way to use a phone, we usually ended up with £35 bill for calls alone, that's 5x the cost of using the phone with BT.

 

Add on your Broadband, TV and Line Rental you easily end up with a £90 bill every month...

 

None of our services worked when we were with Virgin either!

 

Customer service is also 10x worse than BT.

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Guru
5,897 Views
Message 28 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier


@NoMoreBritTel wrote:

I have just fallen foul of this charge. I am moving to virgin as my broadband is too unreliable which makes working from home too difficult.

 

It says in the letter, 'we hope you'll come back to us for your phone service in the future' - they'll be lucky!!

 

Cant wait for Virgin.

 

 


Unfortunately you would have received this charge from any ISP if you cancel or move to Virgin Media

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Reply
Inge_Jones
Aspiring Contributor
5,515 Views
Message 29 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

> if you check  www.bt.com/ceasecharge you'll see that the cancellation

> charge is clearly explained.

 

While that is true, I did not find any of the links from my Terms and Conditions took me to that page, so I was unable to read it until being given that direct link today, when I set about terminating my service.  I am not sure it is fair to have this particular clause hidden so well.  I think if anyone could be bothered, a case could be made that the small print was a little "too small".  🙂   I expect however that most people will simply roll their eyes and decide BT need watching more closely (or even avoiding) in future.

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Guru
5,503 Views
Message 30 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier


@Inge_Jones wrote:

> if you check  www.bt.com/ceasecharge you'll see that the cancellation

> charge is clearly explained.

 

While that is true, I did not find any of the links from my Terms and Conditions took me to that page, so I was unable to read it until being given that direct link today, when I set about terminating my service.  I am not sure it is fair to have this particular clause hidden so well.  I think if anyone could be bothered, a case could be made that the small print was a little "too small".  🙂   I expect however that most people will simply roll their eyes and decide BT need watching more closely (or even avoiding) in future.


Hi Inge, the links are there but like everything in life unless someone points you too the shelf where the food is stocked you will always miss it.

 

BT Terms & Conditions:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

 

Then the third line of links:

BT Total Broadband, BT Infinity Fibre Broadband, etc etc etc.

 

ending Your agreement

 

40: When you end your broadband service and do not request and use a migration authorisation code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider you will have to pay a cease charge of £30. You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address.

 

This is a charge imposed on all ISP's when you CANCEL broadband rather than transfer to another provider (MAC Code).

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Reply