Aspiring Contributor
britishtsortitout

£30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

After 3 years of **bleep** with BT am off to pastures new. Had enough of **** service from your company. Advised that a £30.00 cancellation fee occurs. Where in the **bleep** is this in terms and conditions??????? Disgusted. £30.00 disconnection fee,  just for someone to press a button. **bleep**. Tell me where this is on the so-called 'help pages'??? I'm gonna throw a party when I switch over, whoop, whoop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER, EVER will I use your company again and have told about 30 people that you're rubbish...........!!!!!!!!!!!!

DavidM

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

Hi Britishtsortitout,

Thanks for posting. We're sorry you're leaving BT but if you check 

www.bt.com/ceasecharge you'll see that the cancellation charge is clearly explained.

Cheers

David

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)

Sage
john46

If you had asked for a mac code you could have transferd to a new provider for free however if you ask to cancel you have to pay a cease fee
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor
AA99

I'd like to see the bill if I ask for a MAC code right now :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

"6. Cessation Charge
A cease charge of £30.00 (Inclusive of VAT) is payable if you
cease your broadband service and do not request and use a
migration access code or another recognised transfer process
to move to another service provider. This charge is not raised if
you are moving home and BT is unable to provide the service
at the new address."

It's in the BT Tariff guide http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/consumerProducts/pdf/UKInternationalprices.pdf

Sage
john46

To show the full details 

Broadband Cease Charge What is the Broadband Cease Charge?

The Broadband Cease Charge is a charge raised in certain circumstances to cover the additional cost to BT of the work required within an exchange to recover equipment and amend records when a Broadband line is ceased.

When will the charge be raised?

This charge will be raised should you :-

1. Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) process.
  2. Switch to another Broadband provider without following another recognised transfer process, when it applies.

When won't the charge be raised?

This charge will not be raised should you :-

1. Move home and you re-connect to BT Total Broadband via the homemover process.
  2. Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new address.
  3. You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness.

How much will I be charged?

Charge will be £30 (prices incl. VAT).

Why is the charge increasing?

The charge has increased as the actual cost to BT of the work required within an exchange to recover equipment and amend records has increased.

What is the MAC transfer process?

MAC stands for "Migration Authorisation Code". This code of practice allows customers to move between Broadband providers without loss of service. To follow the MAC process a customer must contact their current Broadband provider to request a MAC Code. This MAC code must then be given to the receiving Broadband provider to enable them to migrate the broadband service.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Rock0

I completely agree, How a company as large as BT can be so bad is beyond me.  After being with them many many years and putting up with sub standard service and broadband speed I decided to move to Virgin. You can't use a MAC code for leaving to a cable provider so the £30 charge still applies. After complaining to no less than 6 people regarding this (who all passed the buck) I managed to get someone who seemed clued up and offered me a fantastic deal. The new infinity cable 40mb, bt vision bronze package and unlimited phone all for £35.50 a month which would have beaten the £40+ virgin deal I was getting.  After getting into the details and making sure all was sound I signed up (what was I thinking??)  

Two days later my contract arrives showing monthly charge of £50.60

Immediately I call to complain and was told line rental is a standard charge and is on top of the £35.50 I was quoted even though I repeatedly checked that the price included EVERYTHING and they were beating a virgin deal which included EVERYTHING.  Again I speak to the standard issue 6 or 7 people who pass the buck before you get to someone half decent (A manager) I am told they will listen to the call and if I WAS mis-sold (why not just call me a liar) then they would correct it. Sounds good to me but I was not comfortable waiting whilst they sneakily signed me into an 18month contract. The manager puts notes on system stating if I dont get my package for the £35.50  then I am not bound by any terms.  Fantastic!!

Five days later I receive a phone call pretty much telling me there is no point listening to my call (mmm is that because I am RIGHT!!)  and they can't match the deal  (they offered me) and proceeded to offer me more expensive packages. NO NO NO! I insist they just cancel everything and don't charge me for leaving early cos I am "not bound by the terms"

Sorted. I am finally rid of having to call BT ever again.

Two days later me bill arrives...........£94

If they could have charged me for the paper and the stamp it would have been on this bill.  They charged me for everything!!!

Long story short (or shorter)

I spent another 4 days getting to the point where my bill is correct and they are cancelling everything! I'm cancelling my direct debit of course because BT is just a Lie factory.

Moral of this story is.....The £30 is no admin fee. It doesn't cover the cost of anything. It is simply there to give BT an opportunity to try and retain you (usually through lies)  Don't be fooled, in hindsight I would jumped at the chance to pay £30 just to see the back of them.

Virgin.....here I come!! 

Contributor
AA99

You can't use a MAC code for leaving to a cable provider

This should be specified in the T&C's, no?

leics_jr

My husband and I have been forced to move overseas for work so we had to cancel our BT Broadband (from a line that we paid to be installed 2 years ago).

We were told there'd be a £30 cancellation charge*. Checking the T&Cs we found that this was wrong: BT could not provide service to our new address. So, we contested the charge. Then things got really unpleasant. My husband was on the phone for an hour to several different people. No manager would speak to him or take his complaint seriously. One person he spoke to even said he had no right to be making the phone call! Ultimately, BT would not listen and did not cancel the charge, even though they couldn't provide service to our new address.

That was bad enough. Now, just three days later we are putting together a formal complaint and found out that BT have _changed_ the T&Cs to specify UK address. Quick work indeed by BT. Look at the March 2011 pdf from the link in the post above, then check out the latest T&Cs. If that amendment isn't proof that we had a valid point, I don't know what is? All for £30 - small change to BT, surely?

*We were shocked that BT had the audacity to levy such charges - what exactly is it for? As we're moving away from the UK, most companies have been great - only charging for utilities we've used up to the date of moving, down to pro-rata rates for part months. The majority of companies have wished us luck and said that on return to UK they would be happy to be of service again - not BT. Speaks volumes about the company.

Thoroughly dissatisfied customer.

Distinguished Guru
DS

Hi leics_jr and welcome

You could try the mods to see if they can help you with this

Contact them via this form - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Allow upto 72 hours for a reply, but it could be worth the wait

-+-No longer a forum member-+-