cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quyke
Message 101 of 110

Re: £30.00 charge to cancel Broadband, switching to another supplier

Just in the process of leaving BT completely, for a far superior phone and internet provider.   At first I was so angry about the £30 cessation fee.   Now . . . .well I've always understood them to be a useless outfit whose number one priority is money rather than service.   £30  . . . think of it as a get out of jail fee.  Will certainly be encouraging many other people to do as I'm doing.  My summary of BT "Dodgy  ..Avoid at All Cost!"    

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 102 of 110

The charge is raised by Openreach, unless you are moving to a new provider who use the Openreach network.

If you move to cable, then the charge applies.

0 Ratings
rajibba
Message 103 of 110

This is very wrong, very very wrong

firt BT charge for Intallation/Activation and then Bills keep changing (even i dont use landline, i dont have a phone set) no explanation.

When calling for service, wait for min 20 mins then offshore will pickup and go through ticklists, no technical expertise.

still i used it and it was 18 months contracts which is over and i am moving to new house.

even after completing the contract i have to pay the cancellation fee of 31£ , why why..BT says its policy then we as a customer shuold also set a policy if there is a link drop and packet drop we shuold charge BT for 100£.

Any way, BT i think this is not a correct way you deal with customer, else no one will join BT. I believe customer should be first and all your terms this kind should be explained to customer during first relation.

If i can pay 46£ i can pay 31 as well but why, i have completed my contract and i am moving home and now i am not happy with BT service then why i have to pay.

who charge the fee, BT why we should bother about open-reach, do we ask openreach to do the connection, you are service provider you are charging mony why i have to pay any 3rd party.this is not a excuse BT

Again, please change your policy towards customer, else one day it will be tough for you to do business because of bad reputation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 104 of 110

the cease fee is charged by Openreach to BT and BT pass it on to the customer eg. you this charge is made if you cancel broadband or move to cable services It is Openreach that provide and maintain the network and BT is one of their customers

the charge is made to all providers not just BT and they all pass it on to their customers

this link explains

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges

0 Ratings
rajibba
Message 105 of 110

@john46

i understand what you are saying, i checked with Virgin Media, they dont chanrge cancellation fee.

Sky dont charge, why BT,

what ever contract BT is having with open-reach, they should deal with it,

no where in this world any company charge cancellation fee. why BT is passing its burden on us

customer didnt charged BT when you have an outage when bandwidth drops from 30mb to 5 mb.

this is un-ethical business BT is doing

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 106 of 110

sorry but Sky do charge as I know someone who was charged for cancelling and the charge is raised by Openreach and passed to every provider who then pass it on to the customer virgin may not charge but they operate their own network not the network provided by Openreach

If your contract is over and you want to change provider then there is no charge raised
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 107 of 110

it is in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you first started your contract
0 Ratings
Message 108 of 110

How low can BT get? I've just been effectively fined for leaving the worst organisation I've ever had the misfortune to get involved with!
Having been a customer for 2 years and out of contract, they had the audacity to charge £31 to "disconnect" my broadband. In my opinion, BT typify everything that's wrong with British Business, greed, arrogance and incompetence, I sincerely hope that they go bust!

PS: Don't tell me it's a charge by Openreach- they are part of BT!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 109 of 110

Did you read this thread. It explains when/why the charge is made.

BT only charge under certain circumstances. See link for more info.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges

0 Ratings
Bossworld
Beginner
Message 110 of 110

Admittedly bumping an old thread, but in relation to a complaint, I've just received a pointless call to acknowledge the complaint but that nothing will be done.  Didn't see the point in starting a new thread on the same topic.

In brief, signed up with BT to start in Sept 16, contract is coming to an end and we're moving to Virgin at the end of Sept 2017 as they're offering a far better deal (no need for a landline, BT Sport included, faster speed, and a few others).

The charge is mentioned at the bottom of the original BT order email, however this entire section is actually clipped by Gmail on the desktop, web email version (other providers are available) due to the sheer length of the message, so I'd never seen it until mentioned on the cancellation phone call.

emailclipped.png

They've called me back today and advised it's a standard charge, and that there's nothing they can do about it.  Not strictly true given the content of this Telegraph article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/broadband/bt-stings-broadband-customers-31-exit-fee/  where they did cancel the charge for the customer.

I note from the article that the charge itself is apparently under review, however a month on from the publication, the lady on the phone was not willing to mention any further changes on this.

What's absolutely enraged me is that I did theoretically have the option to cancel in April (due to the pending price increase), but when I rang up to do so, I was told I'd forfeit the remaining 6 months of line rental I'd paid in advance. The representative has just confirmed my question that had I cancelled in April, I wouldn't have paid this £31 charge.

When I left EE (sold the old house) in Aug 2016, we didn't move to a new provider as we wanted to start afresh as a new customer, and they didn't charge the £31, so must have chosen to absorb any fee themselves, rather than pass it onto the customer.

What I'm also struggling with is on Openreach's price list, it appears an old 'service cessation' charge has been dropped from July 2017.  I'd love to know if this is the same charge that's being passed on:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=yzq%2FQaGYa3h...

0 Ratings