cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gravy1
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

30 day termination wait and £30 termination fee

I am out of contract with bt... and apart from them changing MyBT to BT-ID so I haven't been able to see a bill for months...  I checked my bank and I'm paying £60 for TV phone and less than infinity 1 speeds.  

As my speed is 30mb (engineers may be able to get it up to high 40's again but there's no guarantee how long it would last... the only thing that is available to me is an offer of cutting my package to infinity 1 and saving me £12 per month. (£47.34).

Anyway the speed is too low... my last game purchase Assassins creed Unity was over 50GB to download plus patches and DLC it is time consuming.

So I have looked elsewhere and VM offer 100mb TV and phone for £37 for 12 months then £48 for the next 6 months... but because I am told I do not need a MAC code to go to VM I have to be charged a £30 termination fee.... and I am only leaving because I can no longer get infinity 2.

BT cannot offer me the service I pay for and are charging me for leaving... is that right ?

Far too old and fat to be riding very fast motorcycles...... but I do.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: 30 day termination wait and £30 termination fee

The £30 termination fee is because you are not moving to another ISP by a recognised method. Or in other words to an ISP that uses Openreach equipment. The fee is to remove your connection at the exchange etc. See below and links. 

Cessation Charge

A cease charge of £30.00 (not subject to VAT) is payable if you cease your broadband service and do not request and use a migration access code or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider. This charge is not raised if you are moving home and BT is unable to provide the service at the new address. For more information please visit www.bt.com/ceasecharge

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

It's covered in the Terms and Conditions, with a specific reference to cable. I expect they would say that you have the option to downgrade to a more appropriate broadband package and it's not down to them if that's unsuitable.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
gravy1
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

If I move to another ISP that uses openreach equipment I have the same problem.... regardless of which ISP... the same old copper wire network remains.

My area cannot sustain infinity speeds higher than 40's which is why... all BT can do is offer me a reduced service that the local network can maintain. They say although my infinity 2 is only 29.... infinity 1 is 38 to 40 and I would get that far more often than infinity 2 would get above that ... I don't know how that is possible unless they get everyone in my area to downgrade so the old copper wires can cope.

It's common sense to take something 3 times as much for less... hence the VM 100mb for £37 but I would have stayed with BT if this area still guaranteed infinity 2 speeds but it cannot.

I understand it is in the terms and conditions and if the service was even in the 50's and I was leaving I'd happily pay but the service is unacceptably low and that is why I disagree the charge... I am not leaving by choice... I am paying for infinity 2... a service that BT no longer provides (same as any openreach ISP) and the lesser alternative, infinity 1 is not acceptable. 

and I disagree if you say it is not down to them if that's unsuitable... If you went to a fish restaurant and they said they no longer have fish only burgers... and if you do not eat there is a cover charge... you would refuse to pay the cover charge.

If there was fish then that's different, you'd be deciding not to eat.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

As you are aware, just because you pay for Infinity 2 does not mean that your line can support/ deliver that speed. The main factor affecting speeds is the distance you are from the Cabinet and the condition of your line.

Did you you use this checker or any checker before buying Infinity. What was your estimated speed when you signed up? What is the checker showing now?

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If you can only get 29Mbps, this is all you will get on infinity 1 or Infinity 2. The only difference between the two is a software cap on Infinity 1 which, if your line could support it, would cap the max speed to 40Mbps.

If your line can not get upto 40Mbps there is no point in being on Infinity 2.

As regards your fish shop analogy, the fish is still on the menu, it is just a smaller fish than perhaps the one you want. If you bought the fish then decided it was too small you would still be charged for it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

gravy1 wrote:

and I disagree if you say it is not down to them if that's unsuitable

I didn't. I was conjecturing that it would be BT's position.

Found an answer to my dietary dilemma.

Spoiler
images.jpg
--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
gravy1
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

my line gave me 74mb at first (2 years ago) but..... I was the only person in this area to have infinity. I am less than 60 metres to the cabinet but this area has a copper wire network in poor condition and the engineer told me I would probably lose 10 to 20mb when others joined on this wire. (And it has dropped with every new connection.. possibly due to the extra "noise")

50mb would be ok but I left VM because 30mb was not enough. I understand BT have other things to do, with the continued roll out of infinity etc... rather than worry about changing the wire in a small community...

I am aware that "up to" includes anything above 0 but I bought a service (infinity 2) BT can no longer provide me with that service and now say either have something you do not want that is a third of what our competitors offer .... or pay to leave.

I simply dislike being charged because the company are not keeping up their side.

As I may have put the first analogy badly...  you have a company hand wash and valet your car every week... initially it is great, over a year they start to miss the odd thing, the inside is not vacuumed then a few streaks and after 2 years you notice they only clean the lights, windows, mirror and seats.... they say they cannot do the full valet any more they are too busy, but if you let them just carry on with a limited service they will give you a 20% discount.

if however you change to exactly the same limited service from their cousins companies plugnet, takk takk or Ski... that is ok but go to another valet company so you can get your car cleaned, you have to pay to leave.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

You have not given the estimated speeds as per the checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you are getting below the estimated speeds BT have an obligation to deliver those speeds or release you without penalty.

As you are not in a contract you only need to give 30 days notice but because you are going to Virgin Media, Openreach levy the £30 charge for reasons as has already been explained. This charge is levied to all ISP. It is not just BT and you did agree to it when you signed up.

Your car analogy is better but still not very good because you have not said whether or not you entered into a contract with the valet company that told you that you would be liable for a £30 fee levied by the company that supply the water if you don't use the recognised process for moving to another valet company.

Have you have tried to get BT to rectify the problem and if they can't are you prepared to go through the complaints process and requested a deadlock letter to take the matter to the Ombudsman. By doing that you may find that the £30 fee is waived.

gravy1
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

FTTC Range A (Clean)68.650.32014.1--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)59.73319.98.9--Available

there are times when they say I may get 40 d/l tonight was 26 mb.... thanks for the info about the obligation... that was my reason for coming here... I have paid my £60 each month and BT supplied infinity 2.... now the number of infinity customers in this area must have caused the stress on the copper wire to a point where bt can no longer guarantee infinity 2 speeds... I have kept to my side of the agreement. Bt are not keeping to their side of the agreement... as they are breaking the conditions I feel aggrieved at having to pay £30 ... the figure is irrelevant but it is the principle... 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
gravy1
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

BT Wholesale test says maximum achivable on this line 40 - 41.14 Mbps.... download speed achieved during the test 27.88 Mbps

0 Ratings