cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrea99
Message 1 of 6

£31 Cessation charge even though I switched to Plusnet!

Go to solution

My elderly Mum has been with BT since time began (never switched) She was paying a ridiculous amount for an appalling broadband/phone deal - with over usage charges - up to £60 a month.  Yes, I know Imshouldve looked into her bills before but have my own life.

I convinced her to switch to a better deal...explained how easy it was and that I would do it for her.  Also explained that I was switching her to Plusnet which is part of BT so she was happy.  Then the probs started.  For some reason apparently only the phone order was put through leaving the broadband with BT - even though her Plusnet account was showing both had been switched.  

Her BT broadband stopped working on the 5th July which was the correct switchover date so she changed the router to the Plusnet one.  She was happy and everything worked fine.

It was still showing on her online account that she had broadband with BT.  I decided I needed to sort this so after numerous chats & online chat I actually thought I'd got somewhere.  I was told she wouldnt be charged the broadband stoppage charge and was given a reference number.  I printed a copy of the chat transcript from 15th July for my records. Next months bill came in and my mum was charged for her mobile and the end of her phone/broadband charge and no cessation charge.  I thought this was sorted.

Her account still showed that she had broadband with BT.  So contacted BT again on 19th aug and spoke to rude man in accounts.  He said that the broadband would be stopped and there'd be no £31 charge.

Well, surprise suprise on my Mum's September bill there is a £31 charge!  We ourselves left BT last year because of complete and total incompetence and it appears that nothing has changed.  I dont know what to do to get the charge refunded.  Not only has my mum been a loyal customer but my late father worked all his life for BT!  

I am disabled and dont in all honesty need the extra hassle and all I want is for her not to be totally ripped off like she has been already.  I shall certainly be looking to switch her pay monthly mobile from you if this isnt rectified! 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: £31 Cessation charge even though I switched to Plusnet!

Go to solution

Hi @Andrea99 and welcome.

I'm really sorry your mum has been charged the broadband cease charge in error. Our billing live chat team should be able to sort that out for you so can you give them a try and let me know how you get on?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Andrea99
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you I shall try and let you know.

0 Ratings
Andrea99
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

After much quarrelling again and re-iterating that my Mum switched and didnt stop her broadband; it has been agreed that she will be refunded on her next bill in October.  I am not totally confident as have been told this twice before so I shall wait and see. I appreciate the attention you gave this. Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me @Andrea99. If the charge does appear on the next bill please get in touch and I'll be happy to help.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Andrea99
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Thank you 😊
0 Ratings