cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

500 Minute Allowance

As a result of the current pandemic and the instructions from the government about contacting elderly relatives and other family members at this time of lockdown are BT looking at the possibility of extending the length of the 500 minute allowance for the duration of the lockdown. I have been able to use nearly all in 2 weeks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: 500 Minute Allowance

@AlexWeir39 

Phone call charges are being capped at £5, excluding International and Premium rate calls, so you can carry on making calls,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe 

the £5 cap applies to landline only customers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@imjolly wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

@AlexWeir39  has not specified whether they have broadband as well. There cannot be too many landline only customers these days.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

@AlexWeir39  has not specified whether they have broadband as well. There cannot be too many landline only customers these days.

that's why I posted just to ensure that if @AlexWeir39 has broadband then £5 cap does not apply

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Yes i have broadband as well

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

I am in the same position... obviously needing to keep in touch during these worrying times with isolated elderly relatives... and already notified that I have burned 80% of allowance after 10 days of the month period. I think BT are about to make a huge and unjustified profit from the crisis. Every user is paying them £40+ already... and the use of the system costs them nothing extra... why do "land line only" customers deserve better treatment that the rest of us?

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

If you and your loved ones have mobile phones and the Internet you should install the WhatsApp app and use that to make your calls. They are made via the Internet and do not cost anything. You can also do video calls if you are happy to use that medium. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

I agree with Paul, it's very unfair that landline only customers get special treatment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 10

@annegray01wrote:

I agree with Paul, it's very unfair that landline only customers get special treatment.

I thought it was a kind gesture, took away the worry for people who were stuck at home with no outside contact.

Landline only customers with no broadband rely on using their phones to keep in contact with family, doctors and other services like telephone banking, during the lockdown people were urged to stay at home, so BT decided to cap any call charges so people didn't feel isolated or had options to survive.

Broadband customers were all upgraded to unlimited usage, customers who have a PC, tablet, laptop or smart phones can use hundreds of free options to keep in touch with family, the likes of Zoom, Whatsapp, Skype, Discord etc
Doctors were doing online video consultations, online shopping, online banking, video streaming to stay entertained.

Landline only and broadband customers were both given special treatment, the only difference is the broadband allowances are gone for good, the £5 cap was never permanent.

0 Ratings