cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frustrated111
Beginner
Message 11 of 37

Re: 86 year olds monthly data usage shot up from average of between 10 to 20gb per month to 90gb a m

I am still dealing with them - they have offered a 'solution' that will mask the problem but not fix it and have waived all the charges levied so far as 'a gesture of goodwill'. However, I have chosen to escalate this to the next level of complaint, and intend to follow through right to the Ombudsman if necessary, as I have suspicions that BT are using the unlimited broadband option to mask an ongoing problem that is causing huge distress for people like my mum (and your dad). These are not isolated cases - a quick Google search will bring up many such cases where BT customers have sudden inexplicable spikes in their data usage, so it seems to be an ongoing problem (beyond the 2014 FON fiasco which caused similar issues). 

BT are adamant that the reports and checks that they have run are infallible - if their systems say my mum has used this data then that is the end of it. Interestingly, since I became involved her usage has miraculously reset itself to near normal levels - but BT are not letting on if this is due to something they have changed. I remain hopeful that they have done something quietly that has remedied the issue but I can no longer monitor the daily usage as in my mums case they upgraded her to unlimited broadband to 'fix' the problem. In doing so they have masked her usage figures on MyBT as they recently removed the facility for unlimited customers to see their braodband usage data. 

Despite cancelling the unlimited upgrade within one hour of it being agreed, and despite two separate BT employees confirming that it was cancelled that day - lo and behold, her account was switched to unlimited anyway and has remained unlimited on MyBT ever since. The broadband usage figures disappeared immediately the order was placed, ending access to daily usage stats. I had downloaded the historical data the previous day, but now the only access I have to usage data is to phone BT. How very convenient when they have an issue with data usage being incorrectly attributed. They maintain the unlimited has been cancelled and it can take 5 days for this to be reflected in MyBT - here we are on the 9tth day and it still says unlimited ('My Package' tab returns an error message).

After hours and hours of wrangling, BT have come up with the same solution they seem to offer all customers who are victims of this issue - waiving their extra charges as a gesture of goodwill, and upgrading to unlimited broadband so the customer need never worry again. Not only that, but they are waving a magic carrot of a 'special deal' that means the unlimited package will cost 20% less than her current (capped braodband) package. Again, very convenient when it means that they then do not have to do anything about the original problem. 

I don't believe that BT care who uses/has used the data. It is a drop in the ocean to them and it seems they can't be bothered / do not want to address whatever is going wrong. Switch everyone with this problem to unlimited (and hike the cost later probably)  - hey presto, the problem is 'solved' for the customer, and BT can go on incorrectly attributing data usage, not worry about fixing that issue, and the customer has no idea whether it is ongoing because they can no longer see the usage figures. 

Despite them offering a 'solution' I have chosen to escalate this complaint and intend to follow this through in the faint hope that perhaps a higher authority can force BT to disclose how many customers have been affected by this issue and maybe even require them to take steps to prevent this happening to others in the future. In my experience BT have been intransigent, unresponsive, and have given inaccurate information and failed to call back when promised. It took over a week to find a manager willing to take the complaint seriously, and to provide a response that differed from various reiterations of  'our systems are  infalliable'. My mum stood no chance at all in arguing her case, and it has taken a huge effort and determination on my part to get this far. In short, they have made it as difficult as possible. Good luck with your own case - I will post updates when I have something to report.    

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 12 of 37

Re: 86 year olds monthly data usage shot up from average of between 10 to 20gb per month to 90gb a m

Many thanks for your update   

I am surprised no one from Bt has contacted me regarding my fathers saga

i must find time to contact BT again to chase this up because like you i am not convinced my father was responsible for the two month extremely high usage and like you since moving to unlimited we have lost all visibiltiy of his historic monthly usage 

and he is now £120plus out of pocket

Fourtunatly i had captured the years usage graph   Though hadnt saved a breakdown of the data traffic  Which showed this extra traffic as download 

0 Ratings
Frustrated111
Beginner
Message 13 of 37

The BT manager who dealt with my complaint and came up with the solution was **Edited**. She may offer a useful contact point if you choose to pursue a refund. 

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 14 of 37

Hello RobbieMac

as you have edited the last message (removing the managers details dealing with Frustrated111ks case)

perhaps you can contact me to help with my fathers issue 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 37

Hi @nemu

Thanks for posting back and I'm sorry your complaint has been ongoing for quite some time now.

Send us over your details and we'll look into this for you.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 16 of 37

Thank you RobbieMac   I have raised a query as you suggested

enquiry reference number: **Edited**

0 Ratings
Highlighted
nemu
Contributor
Message 17 of 37

Aah i did wonder about that reference 

thanks for deleting it 

🙂

0 Ratings
Dawsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 37

Thank you for your very enlightening posts and story. I have exactly the same issues and am still waiting for a resolution. Your mum's one of many victims of a known issue. Help lines will get you nowhere if you're questioning the data usage monitor. It cannot be wrong ! You are using the data! It's your fault!
If your credit card is fraudulently used you have a help line and can get it stopped. In your mum's case and mine we can guarantee the fault is not anything to do with our negligence. BT are worried a floodgate will open if they admit a problem. I have delt with other big corporations like Garmin and one phone call is all it took! I admire your determination and your posts help when you feel powerless good luck!
0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 19 of 37

Hi RobbieMac

thanks for getting back to me with a breakdown of the data traffic type 

you said it was DOWNLOAD  traffic from Microsoft Updates starting on 27 Aug and continuing daily until 7 Sept

this I find incredible

firstly checking the email warnings the first appeared on 25 Aug  saying 22gb out of his 25gb allowance had been used  thats 2 days before your reason for the high usage 

So  his data allowance was aready getting gobbled up  but on the 25 Aug he had used 22gb but by the end of the month 31st 

only 6 days later he had used another 68 gb’s    thats in 6 days !

thats SOME Microsoft update   What would this be he has a Windows 10 pc but I cant believe updates to windows10 are anything like as large as 68gb’s

then you say this high usage lasted until 7 Sept

he had another email  warning about exceeding limit on 5 Sept (17gb out of 25gb allowance used)  so as BT say he also used almost 90 gb in sept  and the peak usage stopped on 7 Sept that means he would have used another massive chunk of data in TWO days   Assuming his typical usage of 15gb is taken into account thats 90 - 15 - 17 thats 58gb in two days !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 37

It could be Microsoft Creators update.

Unfortunately there is no way to stop these updates any more. It may be better to upgrade to unlimited usage, as it would be cheaper in the long run.

Its quite likely that there will be other large updates from Microsoft.

This help page may help to stop large updates on metered connections.

https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/

0 Ratings