cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 37

Re: 86 year olds monthly data usage shot up from average of between 10 to 20gb per month to 90gb a m

nemu

You should check the Windows update history section to see if any Microsoft updates coincide with the dates in question.

I think the last large download, ie the latest Creators Edition was under 4GB download.

I am not sure if when an update download is started and you turn off your computer during it whether it stores that partial download on the computer and resumes where it left off the next time you start the computer or if it starts the download from the beginning again.

If it is the later it could mean that you could be repeatedly downloading large amounts of data until the actual download is completed and installed.

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 22 of 37

Re: 86 year olds monthly data usage shot up from average of between 10 to 20gb per month to 90gb a m

Hi gg30340

thanks for your feedback

yes I do plan on visiting my father asap and checking the windows update history of his pc 

watch this space 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 37

I did a bit of checking and apparently a Microsoft download will pick up where you left off should you turn your computer off mid-download so this should not cause multiple attempts to download and any subsequent excessive data usage. 

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 24 of 37

thanks for checking that a Microsoft update download will continue where it left off

My fathers PC is set to automatically update so it should be up to date and may well have received the creators edition update recently (which you previously mentioned could be 4gb )

still wouldn't explain the rest of the enormous Microsoft update download data BT say he received

P.S. he has been on this 25Gb monthly allowance for years and had many Microsoft updates including the free Win 10 update from Win7 which never took him over his allowance
0 Ratings
Dawsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 37

There is no doubt that Windows 10 is the most data hungry OS ever. But as long as you know how to halt it it's in your control. I agree it's a problem on a limited service but most of the issues here are about BTs usage meteor and a total lack of transparency when they are challenged with proof that the customer has not used the data. The helpline circle is a long and frustrating journey! It's a far cry from the old adage of "the customer being right" The person with no IT skills and knowledge doesn't have much chance.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 37

Unless I have missed it you haven't said what type of broadband your father has. If he is on ADSL (normal) and not Infinity you should do a check of how long it would take to download the amount of data that BT have said he has used.

It may be that depending on the download speed of his line it would not be possible to download that amount of data in the time scale that BT have said he did.

Highlighted
nemu
Contributor
Message 27 of 37

Infinity 1
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 37

That blows that apart!

0 Ratings
Dawsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 37

I managed to use 5gi, a third of my data allowance with the router unplugged! Now that isn't Windows 10 updating!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 37

I would get back onto the moderator and ask for a detailed breakdown of the data used including dates and times.

Given that he has said it was due to Microsoft downloads, it would appear that he is able to access that information. This would allow you to compare, as much as possible when your fathers computer was switched on and more specifically what was downloaded or at least how much data was downloaded and from which website.

If this information is not available or forthcoming you should lodge a complaint regarding it and if not satisfactorily answered ask for a deadlock letter. This should specify BT's position on the matter and will allow you to take it to the Ombudsman.

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/Compl...

0 Ratings