BT tell me the excessive usage occured between 27 Aug and 7 Sept
As his average monthly usage is 15 to 20 gb we can assume over 70gb for 27th to 31st Aug and another 70Gb between 1st to 7th Sept
so over 11 days 140ish Gb Incredible !
unfourtunately the way BT process the extra usage charges meant that it was not until the October bill was paid did we notice the extra charge of £63 for Aug usage which my father pays by direct debit and this is when we realised there is still another charge of £63 for Sept usage due to be paid from the next bill
This delay in charging for going over an allowance has caught us out big time !
as soon as we realised something was a miss we switched to unlimited to prevent further costs even though we dont think these charges are correct
(though i haven’t visited yet to check pc update history)
No he doesn’t have Office
pc (and their tablet) is just used for email facebook and some web surfing no additional software loaded at all , the only add on was a printer
But i will just double check
140GB is a massive amount of Download data for a home user who only uses his computer for emails and browsing. That amount would need him to be downloading something like 35 HD movies during the 11 day period!
See link for a guide to usage
Even if he had Microsoft Office on his computer it would never amount to that much data. There is obviously a fault somewhere.
Exactly my point ! And thanks for your interest
And its costing him £126 for 11days extreme usage which spanned two billing months
plus the extra £5 every month from now until eternity because we had to switch account to unlimited to cut his losses
And to make matters worse is he is a BT pensioner (retired BT Engineer)
Have you managed to make any progress with this yet? I am still going round in the same ridiculous circles with BT about my mum's high spike in usage over several months.
It has mysteriously reset to normal levels since I complained but BT maintain that they have done nothing at their end to change anything, and insist that their data monitor cannot be wrong. Based on my most recent contact with them, they seem unable to grasp that there is a potential issue about misrecording of data usage that requires investigation because it impacts other users as well as my mum. They will only deal with each case in isolation and although they have offered a deal on unlimited BB and to refund charges incurred, I still want to know what has gone wrong, and have asked that they review the way this has been handled.
They cannot offer any explanation for the high BB usage other than unauthorised access (and theft of the wifi password) which simply is not a viable explanation for many reasons. BT waver between accepting that the BB usage is very strange and agreeing it is highly unlikely that my mum used the data, to insisting she has used it because their reports say so. It's like a rather farcical good cop / bad cop scenario. Last night it was the bad cop that aggressively denied any issue and treated me with a level of disrespect I found astonishing. He did back off when he realised that he had completely overlooked the issue about the mismanagement of this complaint, and so had not appreciated that he was not offering any new information. He went on to blame his colleagues for not clearly documenting what they had agreed to follow up and/or for making undeliverable promises.
The complaint has been passed around 3 different managers since it was escalated, none of whom had looked at the case in detail and so were unable to resolve anything when they finally get around to phoning (rarely on time, even if I phone to seek a response). I find myself constantly repeating everything to a new person who then does not do what they agree to do and so we start again. I have requested that someone take sole ownership of the complaint so that I can make some progress but it seems BT cannot operate that way.
Currently waiting for manager number 4 to phone me back so we can repeat the charade yet again.
BT advised me that the spike in internet usage was microsoft down loads in other words updates from microsoft
i cannot prove or disprove this with Win10 in use and configured to check and update automtically this type of download is to be expected but not at this level of data download
i was told the spike in traffic spanned the two billing periods and lasted about 2 weeks in total (Last week of August and first week on Septs billing periods)
i have checked the microsoft update logs on the pc and can see that there are recent updates and there was one that failed to install a couple of days before the spike started (KB4034658 which appears to have failed for others as well judging by comments on the web )
i cannot tell if this particular update then attempted to downloaded multiple times or if it just failed the once and then stopped attempting to install
Even if the latest Win10 “Creators” update was automatically installed i cannot see if it would have taken 2 weeks to download and add effectivelly 140Gb to his normaly usage over the two monthly billing periods
BT had attempted to warn him he was approaching his limit via emails and offered unlimited usage for an extra £5 a month
If my father had responded to these emails from BT warning he was approaching his limit we wouldnt have been faced with these bills
but we constantly keep reminding him not to fall for spam or phishing emails so he ignores anything out of the ordinary
So basically we hit a brick wall Something wasn’t right & it certainly wasnt my fathers doing if it wasnt Bt then it must have been Microsoft but I cant prove it