cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nemu
Contributor
Message 31 of 37

Re: 86 year olds monthly data usage shot up from average of between 10 to 20gb per month to 90gb a m

BT tell me the excessive usage occured between 27 Aug and 7 Sept  

As his average monthly usage  is 15 to 20 gb we can assume over 70gb for 27th  to 31st  Aug and another 70Gb between 1st to 7th Sept

so over  11 days   140ish Gb    Incredible !

unfourtunately the way BT process the extra usage charges meant that it was not until the October bill was paid did we notice the extra charge of £63 for Aug usage which my father pays by direct debit and this is when we realised there is still another charge of £63 for Sept usage due to be paid from the next bill 

This delay in charging for going over an allowance has caught us out big time !

as soon as we realised something was a miss we switched to unlimited to prevent further costs even though we dont think these charges are correct 

(though i haven’t visited yet to check pc update history)

0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 37

Re: 86 year olds monthly data usage shot up from average of between 10 to 20gb per month to 90gb a m

Does the computer have Microsoft office on it as that has also had a few large updates?
0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 33 of 37

No he doesn’t have Office  

pc (and their tablet) is just used for email facebook and some web surfing no additional software loaded at all , the only add on was a printer 

But i will just double check 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 37

140GB is a massive amount of Download data for a home user who only uses his computer for emails and browsing. That amount would need him to be downloading something like 35 HD movies during the 11 day period!

See link for a guide to usage

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/broadband/guide-to-internet-data-usage

Even if he had Microsoft Office on his computer it would never amount to that much data. There is obviously a fault somewhere.

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 35 of 37

Exactly my point !  And thanks for your interest 

And its costing him £126 for 11days extreme usage which spanned two billing months

plus the extra £5 every month from now until eternity because we had to switch account to unlimited to cut his losses 

And to make matters worse is he is a BT pensioner  (retired BT Engineer)

0 Ratings
Frustrated111
Beginner
Message 36 of 37

Have you managed to make any progress with this yet? I am still going round in the same ridiculous circles with BT about my mum's high spike in usage over several months.

It has mysteriously reset to normal levels since I complained but BT maintain that they have done nothing at their end to change anything, and insist that their data monitor cannot be wrong. Based on my most recent contact with them, they seem unable to grasp that there is a potential issue about misrecording of data usage that requires investigation because it impacts other users as well as my mum. They will only deal with each case in isolation and although they have offered a deal on unlimited BB and to refund charges incurred, I still want to know what has gone wrong, and have asked that they review the way this has been handled.

They cannot offer any explanation for the high BB usage other than unauthorised access (and theft of the wifi password) which simply is not a viable explanation for many reasons. BT waver between accepting that the BB usage is very strange and agreeing it is highly unlikely that my mum used the data, to insisting she has used it because their reports say so. It's like a rather farcical good cop / bad cop scenario. Last night it was the bad cop that aggressively denied any issue and treated me with a level of disrespect I found astonishing. He did back off when he realised that he had completely overlooked the issue about the mismanagement of this complaint, and so had not appreciated that he was not offering any new information. He went on to blame his colleagues for not clearly documenting what they had agreed to follow up and/or for making undeliverable promises.

The complaint has been passed around 3 different managers since it was escalated, none of whom had looked at the case in detail and so were unable to resolve anything when they finally get around to phoning (rarely on time, even if I phone to seek a response). I find myself constantly repeating everything to a new person who then does not do what they agree to do and so we start again. I have requested that someone take sole ownership of the complaint so that I can make some progress but it seems BT cannot operate that way.

Currently waiting for manager number 4 to phone me back so we can repeat the charade yet again.    

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 37 of 37

BT advised me that the spike in internet usage was microsoft down loads in other words updates from microsoft 

i cannot prove or disprove this  with Win10 in use and configured to check and update automtically this type of download is to be expected but  not at this level of data download

i was told the spike in traffic spanned the two billing periods and lasted about 2 weeks in total   (Last week of August and first week on Septs billing periods)

i have checked the microsoft update logs on the pc and can see that there are recent  updates  and there was one that failed to install a couple of days before the spike started   (KB4034658 which appears to have failed for others as well judging by comments on the web )  

i cannot tell if this particular update then attempted to downloaded multiple times or if it just failed the once and then stopped attempting to install 

Even if the latest Win10 “Creators” update was automatically installed i cannot see if it would have taken 2 weeks to download and  add effectivelly 140Gb to his normaly usage over the two monthly billing periods

BT had attempted to warn him he was approaching his limit via emails and offered unlimited usage for an extra £5 a month 

If my father had responded to these emails from BT  warning he was approaching his limit we wouldnt have been faced with these bills

but we constantly keep reminding him not to fall for spam or phishing emails so he ignores anything out of the ordinary 

So basically we hit a brick wall   Something wasn’t  right & it certainly wasnt my fathers doing if it wasnt Bt then it must have been  Microsoft but I cant prove it 

0 Ratings