cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brinnie
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

A few questions about terminating/downgrading BT contract.

Due to circumstamces beyond my control my whole family has to move abroad, long term if not permanently.

Consequently just before moving I will downgrade the service, I am now on option 2 plus some extra call feature which is total overkill when I am abroad, I will at first keep the basic phone line (maybe internet) contract as I will need to keep in contact with a friend looking after our property.

Eventually I will regretfully have to stop the contract alltogether (I will miss my BT internet, it has been consistently excellent), this brings me to the following questions:

1 - Will my BT/yahoo email still work when I am no longer a BT customer?

1a - If I use my browser to access my email accounts directly via yahoo, will I be able to use them whether I am a BT customer or not?

2 - While I am abroad but still hold a contract with BT will be able to manage my account entirely from oversea?

3 - If I rent the property can my contract be switched over to them?

Basically can they get a bt line in their name instantly due to the fact that there is one already in my name?

4 - Is there a phone number that can be used from abroad to reach BT?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: A few questions about terminating/downgrading BT contract.

Hi

I am sorry to see you are having problems

I suggest you contact live chat at this link they should be able to help you

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

Highlighted
Brinnie
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks

0 Ratings
Brinnie
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hello again.

I am now in Italy and I am in the exact situation that I was trying to avoid, paying £ 50 for services that I cannot use for obvious reasons.

I cannot find a number that I can use to reach BT from abroad nor can BT reach me when I give them an overseas number, which I find hard to accept as BT is a Phone company, so I can't make the changes mentioned in my original post.

I tried Live Chat and they can't help me, I was given an email address to try to solve this (residential.service@bt.com).

I explained to Live Chat, in the email and I'll now say it here too - If I am not given a chance to cancel features that I do not need/use I have no option but to stop the direct debit to BT, surely there must be a better way to deal with this.

ps. maybe Live chat gave me a bad email address:

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:
residential.service@bt.com; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

The moderators have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi Brinnie,

Thanks for your posts, please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

@Brinnie wrote:

Hello again.

ps. maybe Live chat gave me a bad email address:

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:
residential.service@bt.com; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

I think they did, its residential.services@bt.com

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Brinnie
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hi NeilO, thank you for the reply.

I have used the contact the mods link but I have not got any reply yet, what is the average response time?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

It can take 3/5 working days to get a reply. When you complete the email you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings