cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Account Set Up Incorrectly

Hi, 

I am hoping someone can help. On the 15th December i decided my 87 year old nan was paying too much with Virgin so moved her account to BT. I looked at their packages and the best package was the BT Basic aimed at those making minimal calls and on low income. 

I contacted BT to set this up and was given the date of the 23rd December for installation. At this point i was rather impressed with the service i had received from the lady at the time and felt glad i was moving my nan onto a good company with no problems - this was short lived!!!

Within my request understandably i did not want an email address creating in my nan's name and asked for all correspondance to go through my email address. This was ignored and infromation about signing in with the new email address (that I had specifically asked for not to be created) arrived at my nans house also confirmation of what i had ordered which was wrong!! I was given a £10 credit on the account for my inconvenience. 

I contacted BT and was told she had been put onto a standard user account by mistake and that if i changed the account status i would now lose the date for the installation of the 23rd December. I was however promised it could all be rectified once the services had gone live so the best advise was to stick to that date as i had already made arrangements for soemone to be at the premises with my nan ready for the engineer to arrive to avoid any confusion. I was also told originally nobody would need to be at the property as the router could be posted but this was also found to be incorrect on the follow up call as the enginner would need to gain access to the property.

My nan has the carelink service installed and it is therefore essential the phone line is not disconnected as if she was not aware the line was off and had a fall she would not be able to get help. I was told this would not be a problem and that the internet may take up to midnight to get back on but the phone line wouldn't be distrupted. 

On the 23rd December the engineer was on time approx. 11am and he did explain the line may go off for half an hour, as i had planned to be at the premises while he was there this was not an issue. In half an hour we tried the line and everthing was working fine. 

We were having the broadband put in so was just waiting for the router and through coincidence i decided to hang around a few more hours that day and happened to notice the phone line went down approx 3pm. I contacted BT to find out how long this would be for as now i was in a situation where i cannot now leave my nan and know she was safe as the carelink service was now effectively disabled. The advisor said she did not know and that it could be up to midnight. I was fuming and told her there must be something more they could do as unless they were also going to arrange for someone to come and sit with my nan all afternoon and evening this was pretty unacceptable that no warning was given that this could happen and that despite me checking prior still nobody explained this coudl be the case. The ladies words which did not help matters were 'I have already done more than what is required of me I cannot help any further' to which i replied that i suggest i was put through to somebody who could help with this issue and deal with my complaint! She explained actually she also worked in complaints which therefore totally contradicted what she had jus said as surely he job was to enure the customer was satisfied with her responses. It was agreed a differnt supervisor would call me back on my mobile at 8pm that evening..... i am still waiting for this call back as promised. The line came back on at approx 6/7pm that evening unknown to BT.

A lady called me and said she was sending the forms and processing the move to BT Basic. I reminded her i was still awaiting a call back from the complaints and she said she would look into this.  

On the 30th i received another call from BT, i presumed it was the complaints call back but it was a lady in the Middlesborough office informing me again that the relevant forms had been sent for my nan to be moved from the incorrect standard account to the basic which she shoudl have originally been on. I ended up explaining everything to her from the beginning and she said she would now sort this out herself and take hold of my account personally. She sympathised with the situation and the danger regarding turning off the line with the carelink system in place and credited my account with £25. She assured me all payments would be frozen on the account until this was resolved. 

I hoped this would be the end of it but by the 14th January I had still not received the forms i was promised that i needed to complete to return and move the account onto BT Basic. I spoke to a guy this time and he said he would look into and call me back the following day as his records showed that they had been sent on the 7th January. He did call me back and said he was informed they could take up to 14 days and therefore i was to wait until the 21st and he would call me to check I had received them. 

In the meantime I have been receiving emails about outstanding amounts totalling £75 owed and threatening of restricting services. She should be on unlimited internet but as they have put her on wrong package it is limited to 10gb and charging when she goes over. Also calls are being charged despite having £4.50 free calls per quarter.  The wrong line rental is on the bills.

The amount that the bill should be for is £23.31 (BT Basic Unlimted) x 3 = £69.93 less credits £35 + £6.95 (router charge) =£41.88.

The latest advisor rung me back today and asked if i received the forms to which i said not. He looked into this again and said actually the forms had not been sent because there is an outstanding an amount on the account and customers cannot move to BT Basic when the account is overdue. I am fuming i cannot believe that 3 advisors have told me the forms have been SENT only to find they never have been and that this whole mess would not be leaving an amount on the account had the first advisor done her job properly on the 15th December and set the account up correctly. The advisor said i should pay what the account now says then they can process and then they will refund. I am sorry but why should i ask my nan to pay £75 out in the hope she may get this back down the line but probably not without alot more phone calls and time spent and then it to show as a credit on her account. 

I am now concerned as emails are again threatening to restrict services and obviously as above disconnecting the line is certainly not an option. 

Can someone please help as I am getting rather fed up of dealing with people who don't seem to know what they are doing.

Thanks 

Michelle 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Account Set Up Incorrectly

@Shellyholmes10 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.  Your post makes for some dreadful reading and I'm really sorry about all the issues you and your Nan have had since joining BT.  

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to look into this for you. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi. 

Where is the link please to contact you?

Thanks

Michellle

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Sorry i have found the link

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi 

Is it right that when i click on the contact the mods it takes me to a general form? Does this come direct to you?

Thanks 

Michelle

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

That's correct Shellyholmes10.

Cheers

David
Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!