cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Account in wrong name

Mum is 87 years old, has Dementia and no longer has mental capacity. She currently lives on her own with carers going in daily. I have Power of Attorney for her finances and I am trying to sort out all her affairs. Turns out her BT landline is still in my Fathers name and they divorced and he moved out over 30 years ago. She has an online account in her name but having spoken to BT the only way we can change the plan she is on is to set up a new account. The problem with setting up a new acount is having a new number. She is incapable of remembering things from one minute to the next and would not be able to commuincate to all her contacts that the number had changed even if she could remember it. A lot of her contacts are from when she was working and I don't have their information to contact them on her behalf. Meanwhile, Mum is racking up huge bills each quarter because she is on an Unlimited Evening and Weekend calls plan but, all her calls are made during the day. I'm sure there must be a better option for her. Can anyone help me find a way through this maze please.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Account in wrong name

Unlimited evening and weekend calls is a legacy calling plan and it sounds like your Mum does not benefit from this calling plan anymore.

Give BT a call on 0800800150 and ask to speak with the loyalty/value team for them to change the calling plan to Unlimited Minutes which will include unlimited minutes to UK landlines and UK mobiles. This new calling plan will include all your Mum's calls, making the overall bill much better.

Unlimited calls to UK landlines and UK mobiles at any time.
Calls to 0845/0870 numbers are included within your allowance, but a fair usage policy of 150 calls or 1000 minutes applies.

Have a good rest of your Sunday.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

you need to get the account name changed to enable you to change your mum's package to something cheaper and more suitable

I have asked a mod to help and they will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 4

Hi @essja

Welcome and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry that your Mum isn't benefiting from her current calling plan.  I understand that your Mum is elderly and I know that this needs to be done as simply as possible.  The last thing we want to do is cause her any unneccessary stress.

The thing is - it's not a case of being able to change the name on the account.  We would need to close off the existing account and create a new one in her name.  This order would be done as a working line takeover.  Your Mum won't lose service at all until the day of the changeover but it will be more or less a seamless transfer to her name.  She will be provided with a new number at the start but we can renumber the line to get the original number back.  We'll also be able to add the new account on to her BT ID profile too so that she keeps her existing log in details.

There is going to be a lot of moving parts with this to get everything to where it needs to be.  It's best if one of us pick this up and keeps ownership throughout the process until everything is sorted.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie