cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Activation of Broadband confirmed, but no broadband service and told to wait three days.

Go to solution

I'm a brand new BT Inifinity customer and things are already not going well at all.

I signed up last month for BT Inifinity 1, and knowing my old Plusnet broadband was due to expire on 9th June, I set the activation date for BT for the same day. All confirmed, told me they'd send the hub to me, no need for an egineer visit or anything...just sit back and wait for the equipment and the activation. 

Hub arrived no problems on the 5th June. Great.

Tuesday 9th June rolls around. At about 11.30AM, I get an email and a text message to inform me that the engineer had completed works at the cabinet and my broadband service should all be up and running and ready to use. Great - just have to go home and plug the router in.

Get home about 5.45PM, plug in the router. Attached to my phone socket via the microfilter, as per the setup guide. Turn on the router, it powers up...light goes blue for about ten seconds and then, it just starts flashing orange. The hub is working - wireless and network connections are up and I can access it's status. But the power light is flashing orange and there is no broadband connection.

Checked all the connections - even tried removing the filter....no change. No connection to the internet.

This is where things get annoying. I rang up BT support (on my landline - that is working correctly at least). Got through to the call centre, explained my problem. Guy asked for my mobile number, said he would run some checks and ring me back a few minutes later.

True to his word he did so, and informed me that I needed to wait at least 3 days until Friday the 12th June before trying again. Sounded like he was reading off a pre-set script about how the connection may need "up to three days" to stablise/become active, and to be honest, it sounded like I was just being fobbed off.

I am now very annoyed.

- Why go to the trouble of telling me specifically that the service was ready, when it was not?

- Is this normal? I'm aware that new broadband services take a few days to settle at a reliable speed, but to be left with absolutely NO connection at all does not strike me as normal. 

I've left the router plugged in, and as of this morning (Thursday 11th), there is still no connection, and the power light continues to flash orange (note....this is the large power light, not the specific orange "broadband" light). I get the impression that nothing is being done by BT, I think I have just been fobbed off by the call centre - I've had no feedback as of yet as to the specific cause of the problem, whether anyone was looking into it - just a vague "wait three days and call us back".

If there is someone from BT reading this, please can you look into this immediately and let me know exactly what (if anything) is being done to "activate" my broadband line and how long I am expected to wait? I am really hoping that when Friday 12th rolls around it will magically spring into life, but my gut feeling tells me this is wishful thinking. And in the meantime, I'm left with no broadband connection at all.

Similarly, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had this experience of being given an activation date, receiving a confirmation, then having the system not working only to be told to wait for several more days.

Summation of setup for diagnostics:

- BT Inifinity Hub 4

- Plugged into normal BT master socket via microfilter

- Power light flashing orange constantly, no connection.

- ON restart, power light goes through normal procedure of starting up, light goes blue for 10 seconds or so - then reverts to flashing orange.

- The actual "broadband" symbol light is NOT flashing constantly, but does flash a few times every few minutes. If I unplug the router completely, then this light DOES start flashing. This leads me to believe that the hard line connection has been detected, and it's simply an activation or account failure that's casuing the problem.

- Access to the hub's setup screen is fine and wireless/network connections stable - hub itself therefore not likely to be at fault. 

- Phone service appears to be working fine.

Regards,

David.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Activation of Broadband confirmed, but no broadband service and told to wait three days.

Go to solution

The home hub 4 does not work on BT Infinity, you should have received a home hub 5, which you need to use instead.

Did you receive one, or did they send a home hub 4 by mistake?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Re: Activation of Broadband confirmed, but no broadband service and told to wait three days.

Go to solution

Hi DIB27,

Welcome and thanks for posting!

Sorry for the delay getting your BT Infinity service connected.  I can understand how annoyed you were being told that the service was activated and you couldn't get a connection.  It can take a few days for the speed to sort itself out but you should have a connection at least during that time.

No need to worry as we'll pick this up and get you sorted from here.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Keith,

Are you sure?

I have the hub displayed in this link:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44413/~/bt-home-hub-4

...which is specified as the "BT Broadband and BT Infinity Router".

I gather that it looks the same as the Hub 5, however, the wireless name is specified as "BTHub4...." and the setup guide explicitly refers to it as a "Hub 4".

Regardless, yes, this is the equipment that I was sent.

Robbie,

Thanks...I will attempt to contact you as per the link in your profile.

0 Ratings
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Robbie,

Thankyou for the link.

I've simply posted the URL of this thread and copied the details from my OP into the form, along with all the contact information. I will await further contact from someone regarding the issue.

Thankyou.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@DIB27 wrote:

Keith,

Are you sure?

I have the hub displayed in this link:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44413/~/bt-home-hub-4

...which is specified as the "BT Broadband and BT Infinity Router".

I gather that it looks the same as the Hub 5, however, the wireless name is specified as "BTHub4...." and the setup guide explicitly refers to it as a "Hub 4".

Regardless, yes, this is the equipment that I was sent.

Robbie,

Thanks...I will attempt to contact you as per the link in your profile.

The HH4 will only work on Infinity in conjunction with a seperate openreach modem. Only the HH5 has a built in VDSL modem.

0 Ratings
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Looks like that's my problem then - they've sent me the incorrect equipment 😕

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I would take up Robbie's offer of help, might be easier than trying to get CS to send the correct hub.

0 Ratings
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I have already sent the details to the link Robbie suggested.

I've also just sent him a private message in case there's anything he can do to speed up the process.

No doubt if it turns out that the problem is the hub, then I won't be getting another one before the weekend. Absolute joy 😕

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

The moderators can take three to five days to get get to your request for help once it reaches their work stack. In this instance if I were you I would contact Customer Services and explain that you have the wrong Homehub and they should be able to send out the correct one to you that day and it should be with you the following day.

If you do get the replacement Homehub and everything works before the moderators get in touch with you just re-contact them and advise them that you no longer need their help.

0 Ratings