Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimclark0107
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Adding a mobile

why is it so difficult?

Despite having a BT line for 40years, broadband for  a decade plus, BTTV, BT Sport, apparently I needed to be referred to a BT credit check or something . Of course I can and have ordered and ugraded all those without problem on line - and they are much more valuable than a low cost mobile.

So after answering 3 or 4 questions to conform who I am (the person who has the account to whose address the phone would be sent, I was still being asked question. I asked why and got the brush off, no explanation - I think it is summed up by "just is".

In frustration I gave up and asked for the order to be cancelled - nope, can't do that. And I can't do it online!  So the order sits there, pending.

Why is it so difficult, why can I not cancel online?

And I've put this on this board because I can't find an obviously  relevant one! Help

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Adding a mobile

The 3 or 4 questions are for security, to make sure you are who you say you are, for your protection and BT's.
If the order is pending for a credit referral check, they'll contact you to confirm some details, if you decide not to go ahead, they can cancel the order, if you do want it, then they can submit the order and confirm delivery dates.

BT are strict for mobiles, it's to prevent fraud, not to be difficult.

jimclark0107
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Richie, that isn't correct - they would not or could not cancel when specifically asked to. Also had "help" since with their online "chat" which was worse, and also saying couldn't cancel. Product is still hanging in limbo waiting to be "verified", which it never will be it seems, and I can't cancel it - why not is the question? That is just being difficult

As to fraud, its odd. I and all my family have had many mobiles down the years, never had anything like this. And it wasn't just a few questions. Added to as already said, the cost of the mobile was far less than broadband which I can order or change with no intervention.

Had it been a one off and explained as random and been 2 or 3 question to verify it was me, I would be so annoyed

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 13

Orders that are open and in progress can be cancelled, orders past the agreed date can be actioned by connections, your order is pending awaiting credit referalls, the credit referral team will contact you as I mentioned above, most likely tomorrow.

Over the years I've also had various companies provide handsets, BT are the most strict I've come across, It's purely to prevent fraud, you'll of been asked 4-6 personal questions to verify you are who you said you are, questions strangers can't answer, there are also other background checks done.

Comparing it to your broadband package isn't the same, a service can just be switched off and that's it, a handset costs several hundred pounds or more in some cases, so it's a loss if obtained by fraud.

0 Ratings
jimclark0107
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

its the cheapest deal on offer. I doubt very much worth more than the router and TV Box I already have.

The order has been sitting for several days. If it can be cancelled - I should hope it can be given I've made clear I want that to happen - why can I not cancel it on-line? A question for BT - it is just being difficult for the customer

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 13

If it's been a few days, contact BT tomorrow and ask for the 'Mobile Connections' team, they'll be able to provide support.

@jimclark0107wrote:

A question for BT - it is just being difficult for the customer

BT orders are made up of multiple items, for mobile you have the service, the handset, the package or plan, discounts, some have BT plus benefits and addons like data allowances or 4G speed boosts etc
Cancelling an order in progress can cause issues, it has to be done right by dedicated teams as some parts will complete in an hour, some in days, so it's not as simple as hitting 'cancel' which is why it can't be done by customers.

0 Ratings
jimclark0107
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

so complicated it can be ordered by a customer.....................

nah.  Cancelling could be activated by the customer, what happens behind the scenes is another matter. Sorry you're not really helping me, just adding to the frustration as you have clearly bought in to the BT BS

0 Ratings
jimclark0107
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

well the "order" has been hanging in limbo since the 25th of July now.  No-one has contacted me, altho I did have an email yesterday (finally) saying they are looking at my complaint. Of course I made 2 complaints really, and it doesn't say which one.

Meanwhile an order is still pending "while we check our records". I guess no one wonders why they have outstanding orders like that

0 Ratings
johnob
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

How did you get on with this having same issue? I just try to add a mobile to one of my 2 mobile plans the phone costs nothing and will increase the mobile plan slightly per month but says I failed a credit check. I had no problem renewing my contract recently.

I get the point about value of phone but like I say its factored into the plan cost therefore if I need credit check then why not do it when I upgraded my contract a week or so ago. 

I might still be able to use my right to cancel hopefully as not very helpful on phone and if not I only have to wait until next July to cancel. My phone is cracked and looks like got to buy a new handset which am gonna offset by reducing my bt services. : )

0 Ratings
jimclark0107
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

no further forward is where I am.  Mobile order still hanging in the ether, still waiting for a reply from BT .  Beginning to suspect BT are hoping it will go away. 

It won't

0 Ratings