cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phmeek
Message 1 of 10

Address and Phone Number Mismatch

When I attempt to join an new Broadband provider the web sites always say my phone number and address do not match so I cant proceed any further.  I am a bit stumped as I am not sure who to speak to to get this resolved.  Does anyone have any idea where I need to go or who can help me getting this corrected?  Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Address and Phone Number Mismatch

are you a bt broadband and phone customer?

is your address correct in royal mail database?  have you checked?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
phmeek
Message 3 of 10

I wasn't aware that the Royal Mail database stored phone numbers against addresses.  How can I check this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I was just asking to make sure address is correct on royal mail database and agrees with your current address

are you a bt customer for broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
phmeek
Message 5 of 10

Yes the address is shown correctly within the Royal Mail postcode finder.  I don't know where the link to my phone number is though.  

No I am not currently a BT customer for broadband but I am considering it as one of my options.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Who provides your service at the moment?

0 Ratings
phmeek
Message 7 of 10

I am with John Lewis for broadband and phone but have recently given notice to cancel.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@phmeek wrote:

I am with John Lewis for broadband and phone but have recently given notice to cancel.

Then you need to ask them to raise an ORDI request to Openreach, to get the Openreach database updated, only your current provider can do that.

Alternatively, you would have to wait until you are no longer their customer, and the line has been ceased, then you can request service from BT Retail, if that is what you want to do. They would then sort out any database issues.

The normal process would be to request service from BT Retail, and they would inform your current provider, but as you have now requested a cease from JL, any order made to BT, will fail, as there is a pending cease.

0 Ratings
phmeek
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for the info. 

I will try getting it changed through John Lewis although I don't hold out much hope as the reason I am cancelling is because they have messed up everything else so far.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@phmeek wrote:

Thanks for the info. 

I will try getting it changed through John Lewis although I don't hold out much hope as the reason I am cancelling is because they have messed up everything else so far.  

They may not co-operate if you are leaving. If you are happy to be without phone or broadband for about 10 days after your service has been ceased, then you may be better just waiting.

You could try placing an order with BT Retail, it will probably be accepted, but may initially fail, but it can normally be sorted out. There are normally some very good deals available, but they have to be placed online.

This forum cannot help unless you are intending to move to BT Retail.

0 Ratings