cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gnhn
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

After home move

I was on a package called BT Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited which was providing me 76mb/sec download speed. 

On 6 of August moved to new property, and I used standart home move procedure by BT, I have still the same package but the download speed is now 33mb/sec.

As I understand that the provided speeds depend on the infrastructure around the new house and cannot be guaranteed. 

But the problem is my bill is the same as before. I renewed my contract for 18 months this year in May by believing I signed up the speed that is promised. As the speed is not available in the new area, I would expect my bill would go down to the lower packages since I don't get the higher fibre speeds.

I contacted the customer service but they said they cannot do anything about it which is not what I expected. I am a BT customer since 2016 and I expect some help here to solve this issue. 

I am sure no one here pays £39.9 per month for 33mb/sec download speed. The lady on the phone told me that I have still a good deal(which doesn't make sense because no one can argue that 30mb/sec and 76mb/sec would be the same price.)

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: After home move

if you are on superfast fibre 1 then that package is normally 55/10mb but Bt for many BT removed the 55mb cap and gave customers a free upgrade in speed but still on superfast 1

it would appear from what you have said you can now only get a lower speed but still on the superfast 1 package. so you package is correct jsy you cannot now get the faster free upgrade speed due to your distance from the street cabinet

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number    https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

post hub stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gnhn
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Hi there,

My results from the dsl checker website can be found below.Screenshot 2019-08-14 at 11.21.41.pngDSLCHECKER

Could you tell me if its standart that for average 30mb/sec download speed customers pay £39.9 per month? I checked the competitor and they guarantee higher speeds for just £20 pm. E.g. Vodofane. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

no ISP guarantees download speed  all speed normally quoted are connection speed . as you can see your range is 49/34mb connection speed with handback speed of 30mb  you are obviously further from your street cabinet then you were ar previous home

can you post hub stats

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection - even if you currently connect to a filtered master socket

monthly package cost vary depending on what you were able to negotiate when renewing your package

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gnhn
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

@imjolly thanks for your quick reply.

I can post hub stats later today.

Other than that the router is connected to the master socket 5c with mk4 attached. I need to check how I can use test socket and if it improves the connection. 

But my frustration is I was paying this bill for higher speeds, now I have lower speeds still paying the same which doesn't make sense at all. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

when you are home post the sats from the hub and don't move from master initially

basically you are on superfast 1 as your were at outset when you joined BT but don't have the free upgrade in speed due to your distance from the street cabinet

0 Ratings
gnhn
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

My current guaranteed speed is in the range of 27Mb-36Mb as I see it in my account page.

On BT broadbands website the price for that range (Superfast Fibre Essential) £29.99 with additional promotions. 

When I enter my address they have another package called (Superfast Fibre) with the average speed of 50Mb for £35.99 with additional promotions.

I know that new customers get promotions but existing customers get the same price at least (I'm on BT for the last 3 years to know that).

My question is if 50Mb average speed is available in my area why I'm not on that package? Also it has still lower price than what I'm paying for. 

Also previous home owners told me that they had bad experience with ADSL so they opted for VDSL.

This whole scenario seems to me kind of a trap. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

as I posted already you estimated speed range is somewhere between 49/34mb as shown on dslchecker.  there is no guarantee on download speed  when you post stats you will see what speed is recorded by hub.  regardless if you were on superfast 2 80/20mb you cannot get anymore than your line can handle so changing package won't increase your speed  as it says the average is 50mb not that everyone will get 50mb  some will get higher and some like you will get lower

the package price on BT website if for new customers and does not apply to existing customer but you can phone options team at contract renewal and negotiate your own deal which could be more favourable than that of new customer

0 Ratings
Highlighted
garybs29
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Looks to me that as an existing customer they gave you a free upgrade in speed on the SFF1 as your line at the old address could handle it there. Technically the SFF1 package only has max speeds of 55 Mbps, it should have been made clear during the home move & in any confirmation what speeds were available during the move. The fact that you can't get the 76 now won't mean a reduction in price I believe as it was a free speed upgrade but the SFF1 is usually only max 55

0 Ratings
gnhn
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

my hub6 logs:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E016

Firmware updated:

01-Jun-2019