cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfidan
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Another customer porting to BT facing issues

So I've just lost nearly an hour of my life being ping-pong'd between completely unhelpful chat 'support'. Barely a day into my subscription and I'm starting to remember why I've avoided BT for so long.

My activation date was yesterday (10.04.2017). I got home after work and connected my Smart Hub. No connection. Purple flashing light.

I tried speaking to one of the online support representatives last night at 11pm who assured me the service would be activated by midnight. It wasn't.

I've logged into My BT and can see there's a fault alert, but clicking the link presents me with an error page. I've spoken with no less than 4 different members of the Orders Team via Live Chat - none of which are able to explain what is happening or give me an ETA for when my service will go live.

I've seen that Mods sometimes help in these situations. I can see you're inundated with these requests at the moment, but can someone please tell me what's going on?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Another customer porting to BT facing issues

Welcome to this user forum. @mfidan

Which provider are you transferring from?

Did you ask to keep your phone number?

Is your phone line working?

0 Ratings
mfidan
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe.

Porting from Sky (ADSL) to BT infinity 1.

I think I did request to keep my number but honestly I’m not sure as we’ve never needed to use it. Don’t have a home phone plugged in.
0 Ratings
TorchLight
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hi Mifidan,

All I can say is I feel your pain, as I am having the exact same problem as you.

The only reason I took BT because of the cash incentive and that the package was reasonably priced for FTTC. Unfortunately now, I have to pay a re-connection fee if I look elsewhere with better service. (I may still have to pay BT the phone line re-connection fee)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@mfidan wrote:
Thanks @Keith_Beddoe.

Porting from Sky (ADSL) to BT infinity 1.

I think I did request to keep my number but honestly I’m not sure as we’ve never needed to use it. Don’t have a home phone plugged in.

Sky are an LLU (Local Line Unbundling) provider. They simply rent the copper line from Openreach, and connect their own equipment to it.

When you leave Sky, the line is released back to Openreach, and the Sky equipment is disconnected.

The line would then be free for Openreach to provide service for BT Retail.

Keeping the same number introduces extra delay, as the number has to be ported over first.

Unfortunately changing from an LLU provider, to one which uses the BT Wholesale network, can take longer, as extra work is needed.

Once your phone line becomes active with BT Retail,  broadband should follow a few days later.

So you will need to plug in a phone to check. Dial 150 and see who you get connected to.

0 Ratings
mfidan
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

So I could have avoided all this pain if I had said I didn't need to keep my number?

Is there a way I can call BT from my mobile? I'm not getting anywhere with these indian chat agents
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@mfidan wrote:
So I could have avoided all this pain if I had said I didn't need to keep my number?

Yes, it would have been quicker.

What do you need to ask BT at this stage, as I doubt phoning would make any difference?

If you must call them, then call 0800 800 150.

Is you phone line still not working, can you get dial tone?

0 Ratings